Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

rundll32.exe Application not found

• Please log in to reply

Philippe54321

Philippe54321

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The solution posted here in 2009 by Somu still helped me in 2011. I typed rundll.exe "application not found" in Google because I was about to reformat my computer and reinstall Windows.

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows XP Professional SP3

EVENT:

1. Got a typical Spyware add in my task bar displaying Windows Antivirus found X amount of viruses and spywares on your computer, with Windows Security Center icon
2. Did a complete system scan with my NOD32 Antivirus, which by the way is the first time to allow a malware on my computer in over 4 years. Around 16 bad files found
3. Rebooted
4. Tried to open almost any program in Windows and got a pop-up with Choose program to open file...and also other error messages such as rundll.exe Application not found. Only way to have a program work would be to right click and select Run as..., but even then many programs wouldn't fire up and end up with an error message
5. Rebooted to reinstall Windows
6. Realised I had no license key
7. Rebooted to go get a license key extractor
8. Downloaded 3 license key extractors
9. All key extractors would result in no key found
10. Typed rundll.exe "application not found" in Google
11. Found that post at top
12. Applied Somu's solution
13. Problem solved

Thanks Somu for saving me 2 hours!

Advertisements

Kenneth J

Kenneth J

• Pip
  • 1 posts

the above solution is complicated

Simply follow the bellow step... ur problem will be solved

Try it.
Click Start, Run. Type command and press Enter. Type notepad and press Enter.
Notepad opens. Copy all the text below into Notepad.

Code: Select all
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

Save this as fix.reg to your Desktop (remember to select Save as file type: All files in Notepad.)
Double Click fix.reg and click YES for confirm.
Reboot your computer.

Yesterday my computer went down...today, your solution brought it back to me. Thanks...so much. Amazing. Thanks again.

WildTarzan

WildTarzan

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
try going to this website using you laptop or other pc and download this file: EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files).......put it on usb drive and into your computer then run the file and you will be good to go. here is the website link:http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

ING4Trainz

ING4Trainz

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Try it.

@="\"%1\" %*"

Save this as fix.reg to your Desktop (remember to select Save as file type: All files in Notepad.)
Reboot your computer.

Thank you somu! Your solution fixed my PC's problem as well. I registered especially so as to say thank you from a happy chappy in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

IT Idiot

IT Idiot

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The same problem appeared on my computer last week, and I was just about ready to throw my laptop away (in my defence, I am an IT idiot, and my laptop is about 5 years old)... Just tried the solution posted by somu, and it works! Which, really, is just about the most exciting thing that has ever happened to me online. So, I registered to say thank you so much for your help (even if you did give it about 2 years ago), I can't believe I've got a working computer again, and it didn't cost me a thing.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The same problem appeared on my computer last week, and I was just about ready to throw my laptop away (in my defence, I am an IT idiot, and my laptop is about 5 years old)... Just tried the solution posted by somu, and it works! Which, really, is just about the most exciting thing that has ever happened to me online. So, I registered to say thank you so much for your help (even if you did give it about 2 years ago), I can't believe I've got a working computer again, and it didn't cost me a thing.

Congratulations. :unsure: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I am very happy the suggestion worked perfectly for you and you are now back up and running with no problems.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :yes:

hockeyham

hockeyham

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I registered on here just to pass along that I had a problem with my Gateway Netbook having this issue (I suspect someone using it had downloaded "antimalware doctor" and caused the issue) and somu gave the solution that worked a miracle!!!!

My thanks to somu and for this forum for this solution.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for letting us know hockeyham and congratulations for resolving your issue. It is great to know this topic is still helping folks now.

Mindfall

Mindfall

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I have the same issue with windows7, rundll32.exe Application not found. Does this solution work for win7?

Cheers

Mindfall

gotdurt

gotdurt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hmm, precisely the same problem as the OP's, however, when I try Somu's suggestion, but when I click "yes" I get an error that says it's not a registry script and can't import it to the registry because it isn't binary. I saved it via "all files" as instructed...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Hello,

I have the same issue with windows7, rundll32.exe Application not found. Does this solution work for win7?

Cheers

Mindfall

It should and if not it won't hurt anything.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Try it.

@="\"%1\" %*"

Reboot your computer.

Gotdurt did you save the file as instructed in red above?

gotdurt

gotdurt

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Gotdurt did you save the file as instructed in red above?

Yep, as I pointed out "I saved it via "all files" as instructed".

After a little googling, I found I wasn't the only one having this problem and found a guy in another forum that posted a successful file for others to download; it worked:
http://www.box.net/shared/6xe190zyty

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Glad to hear it worked for you and thanks for the link. It may help someone else in the future if the fix here doesn't work. :)

fturner19

fturner19

• Pip
  • 1 posts
DUDE you are the man...I was just about to re-install windows until I found your post. You need a donate button so that people can reward you for relieving our headaches with this F'n problem.
http://www.sysmoo.com