Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing SYSTEM.INI file

• Please log in to reply

CJJ

CJJ

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,I was given a computer and I couldnt connect to my ISP.. so I deleted what I thought were files messing up my system,(recently added drivers I thought I needed )(but didnt work) I deleted the SYSTEM.INI file by mistake.
I can only boot to safe mode, where there is a blank with "Safe Mode" written in the corners. If I boot in Normal mode.. it says that the SYSTEM.INI file is missing and I need to boot with emergency disk and then type:SCANREG/RESTORE.
I downloaded the ME boot from www. bootdisk to a floppy, but it says I am using wrong start up disk,
I tried booting from the ME disk but it says the same thing..(wrong disk).
It all started when I downloaded drivers for the modem that wouldn't connect and for my color resolution as it was always on 16 colors and couldnt be changed.
I have really messed up this time. :tazz:
I have do idea where to start now.
Any help will be deeply appreciated.
Thanks, CJJ

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Hmm, not entirely certain what you mean and why it will not boot with the windows boot disk...

Did you try system restore (the screen that greets you as you enter safe mode)?

System restore does back up system.ini

CJJ

CJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you so much for your reply to my post.
Let me tell what I did so far. I decided to learn a few things, so I went online on my other computer.. and downloaded and printed the step by steps info on how to format and do a clean install. I was even able to use my old Windows 98 boot d*** to accesss the A prompt.
I was so happy when I got a nice install from the ME disk.
I was very proeud of myself, but I certainly do have a dilemna now ,as I need AGP drivers,VGA drivers I went to the sight(as I can get online) and downloaded the drivers, but even with the Read Me file.... I have no idea of how to put them where they belong or install them or whaatever I am supposed to do with them. I only have 16 color display and can't change the resolution.Of course, I have no sound and bad color
If you could help me with these driver issues.. I would be very gratetful.
Thanks again for your reply,
CJJ

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Windows 98?

If there is no setup routine...

Go to device manager, choose device category > choose device > hit properties button> go to driver tab, press update driver > navigate to whereever you downloaded the driver to

CJJ

CJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
You questioned the Windows 98. I am just saying I was able to use my old 98 boot disk to boot to A: prompt because I couldnt and didnt have a restore disk for WindowsME. Anyway .. it worked, and I will do as you say. I am going to put all downlaoded drivers into a folder and then navigate to there.
Thank you very much!
I will let you know how it goes.

CJJ