Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hello everbody. Need help.

• Please log in to reply

chilli

chilli

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello everybody. I am 15. I am sort of a newbie in programming. I want to learn how to program, basically game programming. Can anybody give me any suggestions please?

Advertisements

ChrisWright

ChrisWright

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello,

I admit to being a beginner also, having only taking up Visual Basic in my spare time fairly recentely.

One of the most important points to ask is what programs you own and/or have access to.

The programs used for some languages are very valuable, and therefore you may not have home access to it, although if it is a school related project I assume that you will be able to find somewhere you can code.

I'm unable to recommend a language myself, because of my inexperience, but I can say that if you are able to get Visual Basic, the simple side of it is reasonable quick to grasp.

Chris

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
Python is a good language to learn object-oriented programming with (quite simple syntax), but it's certainly not for making games

blitz86

blitz86

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Boy, if you're not skilled in programming, willing to learn is all you need.
Try out DarkBasic. It is a high-end 3D engine written especially for the
beginning programmer. Google it and download the demo of DarkBasic PRO.

this is what the language looks like.

MAKE OBJECT CUBE 1,5
POSITION OBJECT ....
ROTATE OBJECT ..

Remember though, you need some understanding of how 3D games work.
You also need a software to model 3D objects. You also need a LOT of time.
Don't expect high-results for quite a while: but give it a shot. It's fun.

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Visual Basic is an easy language, I started off with that too and still sticked to it for the last 4 years... One advise: be patient, start small. Game programming is absolutely NOT an easy thing and I would certainly put it into the "intermediate/advanced" stage.

Python is an high-end abstract language and very suitable for beginners, while retaining complexity and robustness.

If you however want to head straight to making games, I would suggest looking at GameMaker. Google it and see if you like it :whistling:.

blitz86

blitz86

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

"Game programming is absolutely NOT an easy thing and I would certainly put it into the "intermediate/advanced" stage."

I second that. You'd have to start little with programming, understand arrays, code structures, blah blah. Once most of it is in your head, games, or anything graphical-interactive, can be something to think about.

Edited by blitz86, 14 September 2006 - 12:57 PM.