Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Domain names - expiring and renewal?

• Please log in to reply

Susan528

Susan528

Visiting Staff

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Non-profit has domain registered and it expired. It has been about 5 days now. If one browses the Whois record, it shows that the domain name has expired on Aug 31, it was updated on Sept 1 but it is not available.

I contacted a company about transferring the domain name, but I was told that it could not be transferred because it would not be available until 45 days after it has expired and then would be up for re-registration.

If a domain expires what is this 45 period? Is there a grace period or can someone snatch it up right after it expires? Does someone have to wait 45 days before purchasing it?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The 45 day period is a chance for the original owner to renew it before losing the right to it. Therefore when it expires, anybody else can register that domain on a first-come-first-served basis.

The Whois record just tells you who's registered it and for how long. It'll have been updated to show its not working, but all that happens is the domain is inactive - not pointing anywhere. The actual physical address of the website it was pointing to - the IP addresses used by the company hosting the site - probably still work if you knew what they were.

In theory it could be possible to contact the original owners of the domain and have them re-register it on your behalf, but this is a risky procedure as you're basically asking somebody else to be responsible for your presence on the internet.

Susan528

Susan528

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for your response. I got it registered again. I was worried that someone could just wait for it to expire and then 1 day later someone snatch it. I was worried I had lost it maybe? The newspaper articles were going to hit Saturday with our web address advertising our fall classes.

Thank goodness! Now to get the website updated!

Susan
www.esill.net

Susan528

Susan528

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I am totally confused with this domain registration.

As I stated below, I renewed it or at least I thought I did. I have been updating it last month. Now yesterday I was told at a meeting that "this page cannot be displayed" error was being received. I went out to the Whois and now the domain is in "REDEMPTIONPERIOD". I have looked over past month credit card bills and I cannot find charge to www.doteasy.com.

I am guessing that now the charge may not have gone through to the credit card? But when does a hosting company enable you to update a website after the domain has expired (as if the domain was renewed) without getting its money?

I am not sure what this REDEMPTIONPERIOD is but I understand that it is not good and that if I can renew the domain through www.doteasy.com, it may cost around $100 dollars.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Generally you log in to the site (the registrar) you bought the name from and renew. As the owner of record, renewal is easy. The webhost may or may not be the registrar of the domain name. The whois record will tell you who the registrar is, though.
Johanna

Susan528

Susan528

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I renewed it (or at least I thought I did.)

I could not update the website, so I signed in and renewed. It is a $25 fee. I used a credit card. After I did that back on Sept. 6, I updated the website and it was accessed throughout September. Now I find out that it cannot be acessed, it was not renewed, and I cannot find a charge on the credit card. Why could I update the website? Is that normal practice for registrar/hosting company to allow you to update the site without the credit card bill going through? I believe www.doteasy messed up. I have had the domain registered with www.doteasy.com but the domain record servers modified to point to www.arendkay.net servers where website is hosted.

It will not be the first time I have had trouble with www.doteasy.com. I had problems with a page not displaying properly and I posted to the MS Frontpage newsgroup. I was told by MS-MVP that the server did not have the latest updates for the Frontpage extensions installed. I notified doteasy and they installed them and the problem went away.

I had trouble with smart quotes showing up as ?s one time. After posting to the MS Frontpage message board serveral times, person determined that the problem must be with the server. I reduced the hosting package to without Frontpage extensions and the site was then hosted on a different server with www.doteasy.com. The problem went away.

Based on the Whois record it is evident that the domain was not renewed. However I thought it was because I tried to renew it and then I was updating the site.