Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transparent options window

• Please log in to reply

HydraLisk

HydraLisk

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
When I go to Start > All Programs, and try to extend the options ( when you put your cursor over the arrow, it shows more options ) but I see a clear box and don't see anything. I can see that the box is there, it's just transparent and shows no options.

Help please,
HydraLisk

Advertisements

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hi HydraLisk,

When you hit the Programs option and moves over to expand...does that box say Empty by chance?

HydraLisk

HydraLisk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
No, it doesn't say empty. It's just a clear box.

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hello HydraLisk,

Here is a link that may be able to solve your problem. All Programs Menu

This is 1 of 2 fixes that I am aware of for this problem.

HydraLisk

HydraLisk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
My all programs shows up, and shows all the programs, but it doesn't show the extended bar for THOSE programs.

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hi HydraLisk,

Ok I'm understand now what you are meaning. With this in mind, can you please answer the following:

1). How long has this been happening? From the beginning or just recently.

2). Is your Start menu in standard XP view or Classic view?

3). Do you have your windows updated to SP1 or SP2?

HydraLisk

HydraLisk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
It's been about.. 2-3 months maybe. My start menu is in XP View, and I don't know which one my XP is updated to..

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hi HydraLisk,

The only time I have heard of this happening is because the shorcut/menu gets corrupted, virus or the program gets unistalled by accident.

I don't have an explanation as to why this could have happened, but I do have an idea of how to get the shortcuts back. Try reinstalling the programs that are missing shortcuts. For some of the installations, you may get an option to Modify, Repair, or uninstall the product. In that case, select the Repair option. Otherwise, just go through the installations again and the shortcuts should be back. You shouldn't have to uninstall the products before you reinstall them because all you are doing in replacing the lost pieces of the products.

Or, if the program isn't unistalled, you can just recreate a shortcut for that menu item as follows:

As for programs you can try:

Method 1: create new shortcuts

Search for the executable program of the application (e.g., winword.exe,
frontpg.exe, etc.). Right-click the application, choose Send to and then
the Desktop (create shortcut) option. This will place a shortcut on the
desktop. Create any additional shortcuts necessary.

To create a shortcut in the Start>Programs menu, follow these steps:

1. create a shortcut as explained above
2. hold a right-click on the icon and drag the shortcut and hold it over the
Start button until the Start menu appears
3. drag the shortcut up and hold it over the Programs menu until the
Programs menu appears (again, with the right-click button still pressed)
4. hold the shortcut over the Programs menu and drop it off
5. choose the option to Move Here

I hope this helps.

Regards,

HydraLisk

HydraLisk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Umm.. it's not just the start menu. Like, when anything gives me an option to extend it, that window is just... clear. and blank.

Here is an example:
http://img169.images...untitledio6.png

and another example (with MSN)
http://img201.images...ntitled1oi0.png

Edited by HydraLisk, 14 September 2006 - 08:10 PM.

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hello HydraLisk,

I apologize for not being able to get back to you. At this time, I am fresh out of ideas and perhaps you can leave a message with Microsoft support for some insight to this problem. I have scoured their forums for some type of answer and have come up empty.

I know that this is not the answer you seek here and I wish I had a better one for you. I have seen many replies in regards to having a virus embedded which causes this type of thing, but that is something I can not help you with in this forum.

If you wish to "double" check this as a possibility, you may Start Here .

If you do allow the experts here to evaluate this possibility, and I would really recommendt it, I will no longer be able to assist you. I am currently in training for the Malware section and am not able to respond to the live logs in that forum at this time.

Short of doing that or doing a system restore there is nothing else that I personally can do or suggest to you.

I hope you understand and allow the other forum here to help "eliminate" that possiblity from your system.

Please by all means, let me know when you do find out exactly what the answe to problem is. I am very curious on this situation and would like to put it in my "reference" bank. :whistling:

Regards,

Joe