Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

non responsive hard drive

• Please log in to reply

thero_cpd

thero_cpd

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
my pc crashed yesterday and ever since then it doesnt seem to want to pick up on the portable hard drive i have connected to it. most of the data i have is on the portable as the pc's hard drive is only 40gb. ive tryed changing the wires and also which usb port to use and nothing! PLZ PLZ PLZ help (if you need any more information like specs i can find that out for you if needed)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you are running Win XP, go to the administrative tools/ computer management/ disk management and see if you can see the hd there. If it says anything buy healthy on the drive you will probably need to format the drive again with the manufacturers utilities to get it to work. You can also use the tools to reformat the drive so windows can see the drive. If you need to save data off the drive the only program i have had any luck with is Zero Assumption Recovery software. It costs $90 so the data must be worth that to you. The trial version of ZAR does not save files.

SRX660

thero_cpd

thero_cpd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
i managed to phone threw to the company that made the hard drive and they say its a mechanical fault and the data cant be saved only a be replaced by a new drive. :whistling: but thanks for the help anyway