Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Task/Start-bar gone! Windows XP Pro SP2

• Please log in to reply

Scrilla

Scrilla

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I go to turn on my computer today (hadn't used it at all the day before) and everything boots up like normal... then all of a sudden after about 2 seconds my taskbar just dissapears... I also use Object Dock.. thats not working either, all it displays is any programs ive opened on my own. I've looked around on google for the past hour and gotten no help. When I do ctrl+alt+delete and end task on "Explorer.exe" then click "New task..." and type explorer.exe it again pops up for about 2 seconds and disappears. I use WindowBlinds (Windows XP skinning program) but recently just went back to the classic XP look. I'm completely lost as to what the [bleep] is going on? help please? :whistling: Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Move your mouse to the very bottom of the screen, does the taskbar appear?

If so, Right-click on the Task Bar and select Properties. In the Properties window, check the box next to Keep the Taskbar on top of other applications. And also UNcheck the box next to Auto-hide the taskbar. Click on Apply and then click OK.

Scrilla

Scrilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
:blink: if only it was going to be that easy, sorry I didnt mention I tried that allready, as well as trying to load WindowBlinds skins and trying again... no luck. :whistling:

Edited by Scrilla, 06 September 2006 - 12:54 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
:whistling: ok

Try this:

Go to Start, Run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally, then the monitor will show progress of the scan, rather than going to Windows. Do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Scrilla

Scrilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Sweet, I'll give that a shot. Check back in an hour or so if you could :whistling: Thanks for the help.

Scrilla

Scrilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I ran checkdisk and the first time I dont think it ran all the way through so I just tried it again and everything seemed to be in order. Went to go get something to eat, came back and everythings the same. :whistling: :blink:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Remove both Object Dock and WindowBlinds and then reboot. See if everything is back to normal.

If not, we'll try Dial-a-fix. But before we do, please create a System Restore point. To create a system restore point, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore Call this restore point "Dial-a-fix"

Now, download Dial-a-fix from http://fileforum.bet...ll/1131569373/2

When you download it, double-click on it to extract all of its files. Then open the folder it creates. Double-click on the file called Dial-a-fix.

At the bottom-right corner, put a check next to Explorer/IE/OE/shell/WMP. Do NOT put a check next to anything else. Now click on GO. When it is done fixing, restart your computer and see if your problem still exists.

Scrilla

Scrilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Somehow I failed to mention that upon startup recently it takes forever for the start bar/icons/startup items to load (before the start bar disappearance). I removed object dock and window blinds from the startup menu instead of unistalling (I dont have the install files any longer), other than that I followed your instructions. After I restarted the start bar popped up as usaly for a second, then disappeared, then came back (it did this 3 or 4 times). So I restarted again when the startup config notification came up as I closed it. This time when it popped up I right clicked the actual bar before it could disappear and unchecked the auto hide feature and clicked apply and the window froze so I force quit it. All icons and startbar went away then came back, so I went to properties again, unchecked autohide, clicked OK and just waiting it out. After a while it closed on its own and my start bar is back!! I'm going to try reapplying the Object dock and see if screws it up.

Thanks a ton for you help! You rock! This great forum prevails for me once again! :whistling:

Scrilla

Scrilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Oddly enough, As soon as I open ObjectDock it goes away again. I applied WindowBlinds after getting everthing back to normal again and everything seems fine. Any idea what in the world would have caused my computer to just not tolerate ObjectDock anymore, I had it for about 3 months with no problems.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Cool. :whistling:

Any idea what in the world would have caused my computer to just not tolerate ObjectDock anymore, I had it for about 3 months with no problems.

Since I am not familiar with ObjectDock, I have no idea. I would speculate that:

1. They did not work out all the bugs in it.

2. You installed something that conflicted with it.

3. A windows update changed the taskbar in a way that corrupted ObjectDock or made it incompatable.

But those 3 are pure speculation. You'd probably do better to contact them and inform them of the problem. Maybe they have a patch or something to fix it. :blink:

Atico

Atico

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I have more or less the same problem. My task bar icons do not load up even though everything else seems to work properly. If I launch an application say Outlook then the icon appears in the task bar but all other icons which are suppose to appear at start up do not.
If I log out and then log back in to my account the icons appear like they should!

I tried running chkdsk/ f/ r as instructed in the earlier post but they check disk stalled on the fith stage where the processes is suppose to verify the disks free space (it stalled at 4%). I thought I would give it more time; left it over night and no progress occured throughout the night. I restart and the check disk ran again, it took about 40min to get to the same place and stalled again a 4% during the 5th stage.

Please help.

Edited by Atico, 08 September 2006 - 11:29 AM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Please follow the instructions at the top of our site:

To avoid confusion, please do not post your question in someone else's topic. Start your own. Stay with your original topic when posting a follow up.

Copy what you just posted, and put it in a new topic. Once you have your own topic, someone will get with you and help you out :whistling: