Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cmos checksum error - defaults loaded

• Please log in to reply

tubui

tubui

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
I just recently put in my CPU and when I boot up my computer it says CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded.

Press F1 to continue. What is this mean and how do I fix it so that it automatically boots up without me pressing F1 and how do I fix the error? :whistling:

There is nothing wrong with my computer.. I just put in CPU again and put in heat compound and all then I get this message...

:blink:

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You can try going into the setup and saving the values, which should write the values and deal with the checksum error. If that does not work, try changing/testing the battery.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Many recent boards will want you to go into Setup if you change something major like the CPU, because of the likelihood it won't be running at the right speed. Usually this is a one-off event so you shouldn't have to bash F1 next time.

Y2eel

Y2eel

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I just installed a new MSI powerup plat mother board e6300 cpu and iam having the same problem but when i hit delete or f1 nothing happens...

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

I just installed a new MSI powerup plat mother board e6300 cpu and iam having the same problem but when i hit delete or f1 nothing happens...

Try clearing the CMOS, I had a problem very similar to this once, and this fixed it. There is probably a jumper on the mother board that does this, set it to clear CMOS, boot up once, let run for a minute, turn off, and return the jumper to the original spot.

--bmwboy

racinmason001

racinmason001

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
A checksum error means cmos battery is nearing its end of life. I would recommend changing the cmos battery, but write down system settings before you change it, so you can easily get it up and running after the battery change.

Y2eel

Y2eel

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ive tried resetting the bios witht the msi motherboards it has a button you press to reset and its a new motherboard so the battey should be new but i did try another battery but have had the same problem....

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Try leaving the CMOS battery out of the motherboard for 72 hours.