Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

adkron

adkron

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,

I don’t mean to be redundant but here is another question about RAM. I have read the other RAM treads but am still unsure which RAM to purchase for my aging Compaq Presario 6410 NX computer.

I did an SIW Scan to identify my current RAM and here are the results:

Device Location Slot 2
Manufacturer Smart Modular
Capacity 256 Mbytes
Memory Type SDRAM DDR
Speed PC2100 (133 MHz)
Data width 64 bits
Voltage SSTL 2.5V
Manufacturing Date 1967, Week 2 (This has to be a mistake as the PC was not yet invented)

I went to a number of memory sites and they all did scans and they recommended which RAM to buy, so what’s the problem? After reading about memory on forums and from memory suppliers I have received the following:

Stay with the same RAM manufacturer. Unfortunately I can’t find anyone selling Smart Modular memory. I also saw more than one thread that says that is not necessary. Most memory sellers say the same. So which is correct?

I also read that 512MB are all I need and it is better to use tow 256s than one 512. Is this true?

If so should I buy two 256s and discard my existing Smart Modular RAM?

Thanks,

adkron

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi adkron!

First off, the Ram that you need is 266MHz PC2100 DDR Ram. It is always a good idea to get two identical sticks of memory for your computer, but it isn't necessary. If money is an issue, then just get a 256MB stick of either Kingston or Corsair Value Select. If money isn't an issue, then go out and get two identical sticks from either of the ones listed above. (I myself would choose Corsair Value Select since it is better). 512MB is the bare minimum that I suggest anyone running Windows XP should use.

Fenor

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
If you can't get two identical sticks, it's not a huge deal. Just get the same speed for sure.

"512MB is the bare minimum that I suggest anyone running Windows XP should use.
Fenor"

My friend runs XP on 128 MB of RAM. It's terrible.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

"512MB is the bare minimum that I suggest anyone running Windows XP should use.
Fenor"

My friend runs XP on 128 MB of RAM. It's terrible.

Hence why I said 512MB is the BARE MINIMUM to run XP :whistling:

Fenor

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
sorry to bug in. but from what fenor said,

It is always a good idea to get two identical sticks of memory for your computer, but it isn't necessary

if cant get two identical sticks of memeory, and forced to buy another brand like coasiar or whatever, it would run well like if it was 2 identical sticks right? and would it make a difference to not have identicial ram?

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
As long as it is the same type of RAM, buying a different brand shouldn't cause any issues. I've heard stories of different brands not working well together, but they're kind of like stories about bigfoot. Everybody knows somebody, who knew somebody, who had problems with mixing brands.

adkron

adkron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,

Thanks to everyone for your help. I apologize for all the typos in my previous post. My typing isn’t what it use to be, but what is?

adkron