Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio Skipping

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

My buddy dropped his computer by the house today with a problem. I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix it. When playing DVD's on his computer, the sound skips. His Windows Media Player 10 is up to date. I updated his sound card driver but that didn't help. From within Media Player, I changed his drive from Digital to Analog. Since that didn't help, we switched it back to digital. The Computer is a Compaq with XP Home.

This problem occurs when playing ANY DVD on ANY player (WMP, InterActual, etc.) at ANY time.

Can any of you help me?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Try cleaning the drive with one of those anti-static cleaning discs. I have one made by 'Allsop', gold-colour and it has the words 'carbon-edge' printed on it. It was the only laser-cleaning disc that did the trick for me.

Also you should try putting in an audio-cd and selecting the last track then back to the first track several times. The laser moves on a geared rack from the inside to the outside of a disc and sometimes loses it's smooth movement which causes it to skip. Giving it a workout across the full travel can often get it running smoothly again.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
pip22:

Thanks for the help, but that didn't fix our problem. Any other suggestions?

Magus