Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer down and wont get up..

• Please log in to reply

Dale Ray

Dale Ray

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer one day decided not to access the Hd anymore, tried to boot from Cd but to no avail. Its seems to have stopped recognizeing any Ide components i guess. I have tried my hard drive in another computer and it works fine, all my files are still in tact. at my wits ends.. please help if you can.
thanks.
-B :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Press the start button then keep tapping the delete key (possibly F2) until it enters set up

Look for BIOS defaults, load those, press F10 to save, type Y to confirm, press enter

Dale Ray

Dale Ray

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Forgot to mention that i had tried that as well. Loading my defaults or changeing boot order. nothing works.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Sounds like its time for a new motherboard.

SRX660

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You said you have tried loading the BIOS defaults, but have you ever tried jumping/resetting the BIOS? If not, do the following:

Lets have you try resetting the computer's BIOS. Please do the following:
  • Turn off your computer
  • Remove the power cord from the back of your computer
  • Open the side panel
  • Locate the CMOS battery (it's shiny stainless steel about the size of a nickel) and remove it
  • Wait at LEAST five minutes
  • Put the CMOS battery back in
  • Re-attach the side panel
  • Re-attach the power cord to the back of the computer
  • Power on your computer
You will probably get a CMOS checksum error first time booting after doing this. Don't worry this is NORMAL. It only means that you need to set the date & time on your computer again. It should say to press one of the Function keys or the DEL key to enter SETUP. Do so and reset the correct date & time. Make sure you SAVE CHANGES before you exit setup.

Fenor