Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

U.S. Solider needs help in Iraq

• Please log in to reply

spog

spog

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello geekstogo.com, I am currently a deployed solider in Iraq and I am needing help. I have recently bought a satellite internet system for me and my fellow soldiers and I am trying to set up a network here. I have the satellite connected to the satellite modem, the satellite modem connected to an ADSL2+ Router D-Link(DSL-524T), and the ADSL2+ Router connected to my Catalyst 2900 Series XL. The Catalyst is my switch. I have 16 people connected to the switch.

Okay, my problem is, out of the 16 people only 2 can connect successfully to the internet. Everyone else cant. I bought a new router today, and buying that didnt solve the problem. I think the problem has to do with my IP addresses. The two that are connecting to the internet have an IP of 82.167.*.* - a subnet mask of 255.255.252.0 - default gateway of 82.167.20.1. The rest of the computers that are connected on the network have an IP of 192.168.1.* - a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 - a default gateway of 192.168.1.1
What is going wrong? Do I need to post more information?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not a proper network guy im sure some will be along shortly but have you tried manually assigning IP adresses i often find that helps with that knid of set up.

retrac1324

retrac1324

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I too would love to help, but I am not very experienced with networking. Just wait till Spacecowboy or somebody to come on, PM him if you still need help.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
82.167.20.1 is a public IP. This means you may have a static block asssigned to your modem. Perhaps this will help:

For Multi Static IP addresses customers will need to configure their equipment with the information that corresponds with their Static IP block. In order to configure Multi Static IP addresses you must understand how they are used. The first address in the IP address assignment is the Sub net address. It is used for routing tables ONLY. It is NOT ASSIGNABLE to a device on your network. The second address in the IP address assignment must be assigned to your router interface. This address is your default gateway. The last address in the IP address assignment is the Broadcast address for the Subnet. It is NOT ASSIGNABLE to a device on your network. For example:

* 65.37.125.10 - (Reserved for Subnet Routing)
* 65.37.125.11 - (Reserved for Default Gateway)
* 65.37.125.12 - Available
* 65.37.125.13 - Available
* 65.37.125.14 - Available
* 65.37.125.15 - Available
* 65.37.125.16 - Available
* 65.37.125.17 - (Reserved for Subnet Broadcast)

The remaining addresses that are not reserved are available to be assigned to a device on the network. The available addresses reflect the quantity of static IP addresses specified in your order. Remember: Static IP options are sold in multiple(s) of 1, 8, 16, 32, 64, but they appear as 1, 5, 13, 29, and 61.

Each block of IP addresses uses a standard Subnet Mask Address based on their block size:

* 8 Block, refered to as /29 uses a subnet mask of 255.255.255.248
* 16 Block, refered to as /28 uses a subnet mask of 255.255.255.240
* 32 Block, refered to as /27 uses a subnet mask of 255.255.255.224
* 64 Block, refered to as /26 uses a subnet mask of 255.255.255.192

Using the examples from above if we wanted to assign a static IP to a customers machine you might use:

IP Address: 65.37.125.12 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.248 Default Gateway: 65.37.125.11

You will have to configure the router as a sub net device. Refer to the router manufacture for details.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
You must be army :whistling: Semper Fi..... follow what silverbeard posted.

spog

spog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
how do i configure a sub net device? i looked at the D-Link website(the brand that my router is) and they dont offer support for my router because of the simple fact that it is not sold in the U.S. can anyone help?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

The rest of the computers that are connected on the network have an IP of 192.168.1.* - a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 - a default gateway of 192.168.1.1

as a note....the 192.168.1 subnet isn't a microsoft autoconfig ip range...so your other computers are getting ip addresses from some other device...i would assume from the router...which honestly is where they should be getting their ip from if you're actually using a router...all the devices behind the router should be getting an ip from that router's dhcp server and the router's wan interface should be getting an ip from the modem...this doesn't look to be the case...and i'm not sure why...it's possible that this may happen if you've got the switch BEFORE the router in the setup (not sure how you've got this going but)

should be satelite to modem, modem to the WAN port of the router, lan port of the router to the switch, switch to the computers..

spog

spog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
okay, get this, i have the satellite plugged into the modem, the modem into the ADSL2+ Router, the router into the switch and through this way one computer has access to the internet, however, if i plug everything up the same way but instead of ADSL2+ Router, i have a Ethernet Broadband Router plugged in, and it doesnt work, what gives?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I actually looked up the router you described and found the firmware is the some as most Dlink's sold here in the states.

Here is how to configure a static device: The router has to be connectted to a PC (laptop)

surf into the router: Open a browser and in the "address" bar type in the routers address (192.168.1.1). You should be prompted for a User name and password. The Dlink default is "admin" (no quotes) for both. There should be a "Home" tab at the top of the setup page that appears. This will give you the choice of automatic or static ip. Mark the static ip. now not knowing the protocol involved in satellite Internet I can only guess, but try IPoA. Now for an IP address use one of the 82.167.x.x that you already know works, sub net mask 255.255.255.248 , default gateway 82.167.20.1 , leave the DHCP enabled for the rest of the computers to connect with. The router should be connected to the modem.

Edited by silverbeard, 08 September 2006 - 01:21 PM.

spog

spog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It is late here spog had to go. We will try this tomarrow, thank you for your help.

spog

spog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, something else that I am thinking the problem can be, is the computers that are connected to the network. 3 out of the 16 can connect to the internet but the rest cant. Could there be something in the computer configuration that could be causing this?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
They should all have the ability to connect to the router if they have the DHCP Client enabled and their LAC/WLAC set to obtain ip automatically and all the machines in question have TCP/IP installed (pretty much standard since 2k for all OS's). Since the machines seem to be able to talk to the router ( they gain a 192.168.1.xxx addy) the thing is to get the router to talk to the modem.