Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD drives canīt read dvdīs

• Please log in to reply

lonely67cowboy

lonely67cowboy

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
first i wanna say sorry for posting in someone elses post. been working on this all day and canīt find a answer that works.
my problem is this:
i have 2 dvd drives on my pc
1. aopen dvd/cd writer
2. hp dvd writer 840i
sometime between sunday and yesterday the both stopped reading dvdīs. the both can still read audio cdīs and data cdīs but show nothing on a dvd. donīt matter if itīs a original or a burned. shows nothing.
any helpful ideas?
oh yeah.... when i open my workplace the dvd burner is listed as a cd rom
thanks in advance for any and all help
lonely67cowboy

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Try going to to the dirve manufacturer's website and downloading the latest drivers for your model.

lonely67cowboy

lonely67cowboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
did that already. no change

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ok. Have you tried running a System Restoration back to the day before this started? Here's how if you don't already know... Click on Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. A new window will appear. Make sure that "restore my computer to an earlier time" has a bullet point next to it, and click next. You will now see a calendar. I want you to go back to yesterday. When you click on the day, you will see a list of times. Pick the one that best suits you. Click on next. You will now see a confirmation screen. Confirm that the date and time are correctly set, and click on finish. Your computer will now restart. Just before resetting, you will see a progress meter, showing you the restoration process. It may take a few minutes, so be patient. The computer will then restart, and with any luck, when you login, you will be back to normal. Good luck to you. :whistling:

lonely67cowboy

lonely67cowboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
it only shows restoration times for 2 days. which would be wednesday is the oldest. problems started on sun. or mon. iīll try wednesday and let you know what happens

lonely67cowboy

lonely67cowboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
didnīt help much. it shows the drive now as a dvd but it still wonīt take a dvd

lonely67cowboy

lonely67cowboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
did everyone forget me?
i talked to a friend today and he said mabey both drive the laser went bad. i asked if itīs possible for both to go out at the same time and he said wierder things have happened. could he be right?

Edited by lonely67cowboy, 09 September 2006 - 11:00 AM.

hackysackpro

hackysackpro

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey i am having the exact same problem. my burner is a pioneer dvd-rw DVR-109. i have had this prob. for a long time now. it has been about 6 or 7 or more months now. and i have just recently started to look for a solution. i have seached on many websites and i have done a lot of the things they say to do but nothing works. i have updated my drivers. i have done a lot and nothing is working. if someone knows how to fix this problem please help us out. thanks.

lonely67cowboy

lonely67cowboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
could it be that my laser defect is? if maybe, is there any programs that check something like this?

lonely67cowboy

lonely67cowboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
well i took the hp drive in today and traded it for a new one( iīve only had it since june) and it was the burner that was defect.īi now think my second one is also laser problem. thanks all and please close this one