Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

.wmv files reboot my comp

• Please log in to reply

Conjunkt

Conjunkt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Everytime i try to open .wmv files, or any video file, be it web-based or for download instantly reboots my computer.

is this a conflict between software or DLL's? is there a fix/solution?

Appreciate any help i can get!

Cheers

Aaron :whistling:

Advertisements

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
had a file called "mmswitch.ax" installed which is a 3rd party switcher

Hi Conjunkt,

Did you by chance upgrade from WMP9 to WMP10?

There have been a few issues with this thing happening for people who have upgraded. There are a few things you can try.

If you are NOT using WMP and are using a 3rd party player, you may have had a switcher installed called Morgan Stream Switcher to be exact. Just uninstall it and you could be good to go. It may be located under Program Files\Morgan. The actual file is called "mmswitch.ax". Delete it if you find it.

Another Possible: Only works if your browser is FIREFOX.

1. Download the video lan media player: http://www.videolan.org/
2. Install it and set it up, check it runs WMV files OK, which it should.
3. Get the media player connectivity extension from here: http://membres.lycos...nakht/index.php
4. Restart firefox and go to Tools > Extensions > MediaPlayerConnectivity > Options then untick everything except Windows Media.
5. For the path put in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\vlc.exe

Something else to try...

Run dxdiag and disabled AGP Texture Acceleration, all crashes ceased to come up. Now I knew it had to do with the AGP drivers, so I enabled the acceleration again and went to the website of my motherboard's manufacturer (MSI) to download and install the latest AGP driver. This fixed the whole issue!

A "workaround" for now is watching in either VLC or Winamp, since they use their own codecs.

Hope some of this helps you.

Conjunkt

Conjunkt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It happened again lol

This was the error report i got back from Microsoft:

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

the Report Summary is as follows:

Error type : Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)

Solution available? : No (see Next steps)

What does this error mean? : Windows has encountered an error from which it cannot recover and needs to restart

Cause : Unknown device driver

Computer symptoms : A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: e.g. 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

Additional steps for you to take : Important: Please continue to send error reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

Im completely baffled...