Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor will not turn on

• Please log in to reply

morison68

morison68

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I was messing around with my computer one day, trying to get the sound to work, and the computer all the sudden froze up. I then turned the computer off, in hopes of being able to re-boot it. I then found that the computer montior would not turn on, the power light turns from green to oarnge right away, and the screen is blank. If I disconect the wire that goes from the monitor to the cpu, I get a prompt on the screen that says no signal. This is how I know the montior is still good. Please give me an idea here of what is going on. Could it possibly be the video card? :whistling:

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts

Hi. I'm thinking that maybe your video card simply came loose and needs to be pushed back in. I've seen it done before, so hopefully that's what this is. Unplug everything going to the computer, and lie it down on a table, preferably over a tile floor. Open your case, which is usually held in by clips or screws. After the case door is off, ground the static electricity from your body by putting your hands on the inner metal frame of the computer, being careful not to touch any components. Next, locate the video card. Push it in firmly, but not too hard. If it's not going in any more, don't force it. Just make sure it's pushed in nicely, and then close it back up, plug it in, and see what happens. Also, to save time, I could recommend that you just move your monitor to the same place as you'll be doing this, and only connect the essentials like the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and of course power. This way, you don't spend too much time just connecting extra things. Let us know how you do. :thumbsup:

morison68

morison68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, that is exactly what the problem was. I actually had a hunch by reading other postings. I tryed doing what you had said, before reading your post. Thank you so much for the quick response.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
No problem. Come back and see us if you have any more questions :whistling: