Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

processes

• Please log in to reply

cainmolloy

cainmolloy

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi I have windows XP i year old, with 53 processes running is this to many or how do I reduce this permanitly coz if I just go end process it will start when I start my computer thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, click disable all

Then replace the ticks for the firewall, anti virus and any anti spyware programmes, click apply and reboot

Tick, do not start the configuration utility when windows loads

Check the firewall, anti virus and any anti spyware programmes are active

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I have 33 processes running at start up, but I use Norton. Sigh.

You may want to try Mike Lynn's Start Up CPL, which will add a tab called "Start Up" in your control panel. By ticking (or unticking) the entries there you can selectively choose what runs at boot, and what doesn't. Most things except for security and MS processes, like Keith pointed out above, do not need to run unless called on. This utility will allow you to switch programs on and off until you find the configuration that suits you the best.
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
Johanna