Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

part of my hd is inaccesible and invisible

• Please log in to reply

dutchdummy

dutchdummy

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
since a day or 2 i have the idea someone has been hi-jacking my pc, probably using svchost.exe svchost.helper
since last night all of a sudden my d-drive is gone. i have divided my hard drive into c, d, e and f. now d is gone. hopefully, not for good.
can anyone tell me how i can get my d drive back or how to be able to access and see it again?
i'm at a loss now :whistling:
thanks a lot in advance

[email protected]

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you are running XP what does it say about the "D" drive in disk management( control panel/perf & maint/ administrative tools/computer management/disk management). You can probably reformat the drive by right clicking on it.

SRX660

dutchdummy

dutchdummy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i had done that already by checking it on another site
i did the same as you did in a shorter route:

bottom left start>run>compmgmt.msc and then as you suggested

to no avail

when i was using my pc all of a sudden a message appeared saying that my d disk would close down

since then the d part of my hd is gone completely with all the info, photos, films, docs etc. i had installed upon it

i am at a loss now

is it completely gone. i guess of my 60 GB hd it took up about 15 GB

thanks for replying!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres something to read and think about.

http://www.linuxjour...om/article/8661

SRX660

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
That is why I suggest having a Linux Live CD, such as Knoppix. You can look at things without having to deal with Windoze and if there is a virus or something which is causing the problem, it can be hard to look at otherwise.

You could try running chkdsk on the D: drive and see if there is some file corruption or some other problem.

dutchdummy

dutchdummy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
interesting stuff about linux, will read that further and hope i can understand enough of it as to be of any help to me. i just rebooted my pc and the d-partition came back!!!!! :whistling: