Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mapped Shares dropping

• Please log in to reply

Neurosis

Neurosis

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi y'all. I've been having a problem with mapped drive shares disconnecting on several computers, on both laptops and desktops. The error message is, "An error occured while reconnecting P: to \\Server\foldername. Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use. This connection has not been restored." We're running Win2003 Server and the client computers are connecting to shared folders. The effected systems seem to only be WinXPs with the latests updates, as this problem doesn't seem to occur on 2000 or XP no upgrades/ or SP1. A reboot will fix the problem, but that's not an acceptible solution for me. I've done a search for it and there appears to be quite a few people with the same issue, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive solution. Things I've tried:
--secpol.msc, changed Microsoft Sever Network: Amount of idle time required before suspending session ==> changed to 0.
--regedit, dont' remember the path, but changed some type of net share to infinite connect time.
--changed NIC properties to disable Power Management.
--pointed primary DNS directly to 2003 Server.
--removed the map share, restart, remapped to a different drive letter.

--haven't tried net use \\server\foldername to persistent:no yet, but had read that didn't work for others either.

:whistling: ?

Advertisements