Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

fitting and configuring a new dvd rom drive(won't work)

• Please log in to reply

poteen

poteen

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi geeks,
I’m a stroke disabled one handed new bee so bear with me if I don’t know all the correct terminology or parts please. (I can dismantle the computer but it takes a lot longer now than when I had the use of the left hand, thank God for magnetic screw drivers is all I can say) Anyway niceties over, to my problem.
My DVD cd rom drive went belly up so I bought a new LG Electronics DVD cd rom drive off ebay (no software installation disc came with it). I fitted it thinking stupidly it was plug and play, but no nothing so easy. There were only two leads to be attached, one, a loom type lead, from the mother board about 2 ½” to 3” long red wire to the right looking from the back, and the second is a 4 pin plug and is about slightly over an inch long fitted at the extreme right looking from the back, it’s a Packard Bell Tower unit, with a 1600+AMD Athlon processor chip, and 256mb of ram. Well that was the way they came out of the old one so I plugged them into the new one the same way. There are plug holes for audio and something else not sure what? From what internet research I’ve done it should have more plug leads butthere was none so? But I only plugged in what I took out exactly the same way,. There must power going to it, as the tray will eject. When I put in a cd it blinks about 11 times and stops. The icon D: in the “my computer” folder has disappeared as well. Now I only have the cd rewriter and the icon: E is showing in “my computer”, but it’s stopped working as well although still showing.
I had hair before this problem but I’m starting to go bald now (well seriously thinning out anyway). Can someone help please????

Regards poteen

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hopefully, it arrived with default settings and two drives now have the same settings and need to be altered

There are 3 options, Cable Select, Slave, and Master.

Selection is done by means of a jumper, the option you choose will depend on your system set-up.
Master should be selected if this will be the only device on a single IDE cable, or, if it is the second device to be connected and the other device is set to slave.
Slave should be selected if this will be the second device on a singe IDE cable, for instance, if you do not already have a CD-ROM drive then you could attach the new device to the same IDE cable as your hard drive (where your hard drive will be the master).
Cable Select should be selected only when the devices are to be attached as the cable depicts, ie, the first connector (working away from the motherboard) is the slave and the last connector is the master device.

http://www.helpwithp...cd_recorder.htm

poteen

poteen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Keith,
I’ve just done all that. Still not working, but I think I’ll try the LG Electronics web site again for drivers for this model number L G Electronics DVD CD Rom GDR 8163B again. Or maybe someone can direct me to a web link
Regards
Geoff