Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pcmcia cards and notebooks

• Please log in to reply

jesse1579

jesse1579

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have two notebooks. One is an hp pavilion dv5000z and the other is a dell inspiron 1300. Both notebooks have slots that say they will take a type 2 pc card. Here is my problem. I was under the impression that a pcmcia card is the same as a type 2 pc card. I have an altell data card that is pretty much a cellular modem that I use to connect to the internet on my desktop pc (I use a pcmcia to pci adapter for the desktop). I would like to use the data card on my notebooks also but when I plug them in the card doesn't activate or anything. I know the card is good. My question is, is a pcmcia card the same as a type 2 pc card? On the back of the data card box it even says that this card will work in standard type 2 pc slots. Are the slots in my pavilion and my insparon not the standard pc slots? I would greatly appreciate any help that I could get. I am truly at a loss. I've called hp tech support and I get the same response over and over agian that the card should work with this notebook, but it doesn't. HELP!!!

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

A 'type 2' PC card is a type of PCMCIA card. Basically pcmcia card are either type 1, 2 or 3. The difference between the type is the thickness of the card. Type 3 for example is double thinkness & requires 2 pcmcia slots for a single card.

This may sound like a strange question, but when you insert this card into one of the notebooks, how do you know that Windows hasn't detected it?

jesse1579

jesse1579

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
When I insert the card into the slot I don't get the audiable notification that windows gives when a new device is found, and the card's activation led doesn't light up. I've also checked in device manager and I don't see the card listed, even after I did a detection of new devices. I called hp again and it appears that this is a pc e slot. They say the slot will handle a type 2 card but it doesn't have any pins and the card isn't seen. Thanks for the help.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I'm not certain but I'm wondering if the confusion is this :

I assume HP are referring to a PC express slot. Express cards come in 2 types :

Type 1 = full size card & is 'L' shaped

Type 2 = smaller sized card & is rectangular in shape but narrower than a normal pcmcia card (34mm wide)

If you only have a PC express slot on the notebook but are trying to insert a standard pcmcia card, then this may explain why it's not being detected.

Or, is it possible you are trying to insert a PC express card into a standard pcmcia slot instead?