Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player Will Not Play Internet Videos & Music

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
When I go to www.msn.ca, www.msn.com, or anywhere that has video that can be watched on the web using windows media player it will not play. I don't know why... I am an advanced pc user, and have not changed any settings, or touched anything. I have scanned for malware, spyware, grayware, virus', online scans, and nothing is infected at all. My system is running perfect. I was able to watch videos before. I can't now... If I go to www.msn.ca and click to watch the video all that my media player says is "the video you have requested is not available". That's a lie because when I give my friends the same link to use on there pcs it works for them. I even tried going on various other sites and tryed to watch win media player vids, but my player says it can not access the file or something. It gives me an error message and tells me if I would like "more information". When I click on "more information" win media player goes into it's help guide and automatically opens up the following message:

C00D11BB: Cannot play the file
Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the specified protocol is either not supported by the Player or not supported by the server.

If you encountered this error by clicking a link on a Web page, the link might not be valid.

If you encountered this error by typing a Uniform Resource Locator (URL) in the Open URL dialog box, try opening the file by using a different transport protocol (for example, "http:" or "rtsp:").

A list of protocols that are supported by the Player and the correct syntax follows:

mms://server/filename (for example, a file with a .wma, .wmv, .asf, or .mp3 extension)
http://server/filename
rtsp://server/filename
mms://server/sami.asf?SAMI=http://server/sami/sami_demo.smi (SAMI file)
If Windows Media Player supports the protocol and you still cannot play the content, verify that the Player is configured to use all of its supported protocols.

To configure protocol settings
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Network tab.
In the Streaming protocols area, select all the protocol check boxes.
Note

The supported protocols can be used only to stream digital media files. Windows Media Player cannot be used as a browser.
Error ID = 0xC00D11BB, Condition ID = 0x00000000

Any help to get my player working with vids? Oh yah it is'nt letting me play music either. Like music on www.cdnow.com where I could buy cds and listen to them first... This is getting annoying. & yes my player can play mp3s and vids that I already have on my hard drive. I'm running IE 6 and Win Media Player 10.

Edited by superstar, 08 September 2006 - 10:56 PM.

Advertisements

scott452

scott452

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
hi
uninstall media player and reinstall it with media player 10 or 11 beta version

scott

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I too fancy myself to be a computer genius :blink: when all goes well, but when I have a problem, then I am a complete blithering idiot and have to ask for help... :whistling:

If you do not want or need the "radio function" of WMP9 then yes, loading a newer update would be my choice to start...but that does not get back at the issue of why WMP9 did not work.

Just off the top of my head...some things that I would consider if it were my system...

1. sharing conflict among dills...family squabbles always end up with someone getting hurt...check dependencies
2. path mix-up, thinks its going one direction, but is really going in another...needs reorienting...reinstall after a 100% clean delete of it and its components
3. registration error for components
4. sequence of an install...were one or more progs installed before WMP as opposed to after, giving it a chance to make its own "nest" in the tree first...
5. have SP2 installed...I had numerous faults until I got rid of SP2 and did not install it again...I reasoned that WMP9 was now incompatible with SP2 and that was why WMP9 was updated...to overcome the complaints of it not working...in SP2
6. delete the pagefile.sys [virtual memory] file in c:\ and then reinstall Media Player...sometime echos of past installs still linger about, including the errors
7. install and run a good registry editor a couple of times in succession...once never seems to do it for me...
8. sfc_/scannow
9. corrupt install program? try a couple of fresh ones

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Sorry you have this confused. It's not windows media player 9, I'm having issues with version 10. Do I really have to uninstall? Why would I have to do that? This should be a minor issue... Please gimmie help again because that seems out of the question... Unless you can explain how I can unistall it, and than re-install it... But does anyone know how I can just fix it right now without uninstalling? Like I said I never did anything to it for it to be such a major issue that I have to uninstall it!

scott452

scott452

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
http://www.microsoft...11bb_0x00000000
click on c00d11bb, follow instructions

it's just a matter of searching for your problem on the internet

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I may be in error, but in the Add and Remove link in Control Panel, if you unload WMP 10, it will default back to WMP 9, or is that just a bad dream ;( Then to cover my butt, I reinstall WMP 9.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

If Windows Media Player supports the protocol and you still cannot play the content, verify that the Player is configured to use all of its supported protocols.

To configure protocol settings
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Network tab.
In the Streaming protocols area, select all the protocol check boxes.

All my boxes were checked... So that did'nt work. That page at microsoft says the same thing as my error.

I may be in error, but in the Add and Remove link in Control Panel, if you unload WMP 10, it will default back to WMP 9, or is that just a bad dream ( Then to cover my butt, I reinstall WMP 9)

You can't unistall win media player 10 from add/remove programs in the control panel.

EDITED by Johanna

Edited by Johanna, 20 September 2006 - 08:10 PM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Did you check google for "safe delete of Windows Media Player 10"

Here are a few of hits right off the bat...

http://ezinearticles...w...in&id=56655

I know that you said that you did not have it in your Widows component section, but it is supposed to be there: http://all-streaming...hread.php?t=103

"To roll back from Windows Media Player 10 to a previous version using Add or Remove Programs, do the following:
1. Click "Start"->"Control Panel". In the Control Panel (Category View) click "Add or Remove Programs".
2. Click "Add or Remove Programs" again, and then do one of the following:

a. If you are running Windows XP Service Pack 2, select the "Show updates" check box (at the top of the list), click Windows Media Player 10, and then click Change/Remove.
- or -
b. If you are running Windows XP Service Pack 1 or earlier, click Windows Media Player 10, and then click Change/Remove. Reboot your machine after uninstalling.

To roll back from Windows Media Player 10 to a previous version (that was part of your original version of Windows) you may also use System Restore."

Uninstall Media Player 10 beta

http://www.auditmypc...layer10beta.asp

Did you read the following info at MS...

http://www.microsoft.../10/readme.aspx

This is what I would do on MY system...no guarantees...

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING...THINK... and write down every step you take on a paper pad nearby...

Go to your XP CD, and open it up in Explorer...go to the VALUEADD folder, then to MSFT and then to NTBACKUP...copy the contents [NTBACKUP.MSI and README.TXT] to a c:\BACKUP folder on your c:\ drive

Proceed to save...

BACK UP DOCS AND SETTINGS > c:\BACKUPS\DOCS AND SETTINGS
BACK UP SYSTEM FILES > c:\BACKUPS\SYSTEM32
BACK UP REGISTRY > c:\BACKUPS\REGISTRY
BACK UP any files you feel are relevant...

Do a sfc_/scannow out of the command prompt, to be sure that all is kosher before you start...
START>RUN>CMD>CD C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32> sfc_/scannow

Do a basic CrapCleaner as well...

1. If you do not have a good Uninstaller [try to find a free one] Program, then you may have to use a shareware one that will be fully functional for at least one delete or X-days, or N-tries, or whatever... and try to kill it from there
2. go to c:\windows\...and you will see all of those files with $ signs attached...check them out for any evidence of the WMP10 install file...if Windows installed it, it should be there...
3. go to regedit and search for any evidence of the WMP10 install file...wmplayer.exe or something like that... kill all entries
4. go to the install folder where WPM10 resides and delete as many files as you can
5. use the UNLOCKER program to try to kill the rest
6. use a KILL DLL program to kill them
7. DO NOT DELETE FILES THAT HAVE OBVIOUS DEPENDENCIES ELSEWHERE...
8. Reboot and go to safe mode command prompt > AMINISTRATOR
9. wangle you way to c:\ and kill the pagefile.sys file [virtual memory]
Check out these links first...

http://support.micro....com/kb/255205/
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;555223

10. Try putting your install disk into the bay and go to the Install Windows Components section...
Leave the tick marks and proceed...this is suppose to uninstall those ticked items...
Repeat the process, this time tick everything that you feel you need...
This is supposed to install all of the components you want...hopefully WMP9 will be among them...

I don't think that I missed anything...hopefully someone will read this and adjust accordingly...or come up with another method...

11. Reboot...

Try it out :blink:

Signing off ...good luck... :whistling:

Edited by b1caez01, 09 September 2006 - 06:28 PM.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
hmm still does'nt work. i don't want to roll back or uninstall win media player 10. because it can ruin it for good. someone suggested i do a serious system restore to a long time ago. i don't want to do that because i installed a lot of stuff.

hey could it be my windows firewall that's not letting me play streaming audio and video? because i do not see anything with a name like "windows media player" in the exceptions box. by the way there is something in the exceptions box called "upnp framework", that is unchecked... hmm i dunno.

could someone check there windows firewall and tell me if this is it/>??

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
It is always the user's choice. See if the advice below is valid...check with one of the geek techies here...before doing anything!!!

If you checked with the malware forum and if malware has not proven to be the problem, if the registry has not proven to be the problem, then the installation may be the obvious choice. I can't think of what else it could be. Others may, but have they come forward with help? What were their suggestions?

Yes uninstalling WM10 will surely ruin it...but I don't think that is what you meant...can you clarify :blink:

I have uninstalled it many times from the Add and Remove function in the Control Panel... and Windows just rolls it back to WM9, if WM9 was properly installed in the first place, from the install disk...then I reinstall WM9 just to be sure that evey thing is tickety boo :whistling: Better to waste, relatively, a few minutes compared to hours of hair pulling :)

I have also uninstalled it from the XP install CD, and reinstalled it...again, no problems.

If it does not appear in your A/R function in the Cntl Pnl then I am afraid, I cannot help further...you'll have to go where fear holds no sway and do some dirty work...take a chance...attack the registry and do it by hand...easy for me to say, I do it all the time...

NB: I will not advise you to do anything without the help of geeks on-board helpers leading you.

1. If they give you a list of files to delete from the registry, then start there, that will kill them and then
2. you can delete them from the Program Files folder...but there are so many WMP file interdependencies, that you would need a day to do it.
3. Try to find someone who is "an expert" in Windows Media Player programming...that may be your only hope.
4. Sometimes you can delete program files, and Windows will just put them back, so you have to turn off system restore before you start tinkering...

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Mind you, my system is obviously not yours...but I do have tons of software...I am always testing and retesting the stuff...that's my hobby....about 75-80 burned CDs of the stuff...plus two hard drives...hundreds of reformats and fdisking!!!

When you reinstall a fresh copy of Windows, you are given the option or ONLY removing the old Windows files and then having them reinstalled [I'd choose that option], in the process, the registry and everything associated with Windows gets cleaned up and put back in proper order....conflicts are resolved and a fresh start is made.

To be double safe, make a copy of he entire system32 folder, and keep it on hand. After the reinstall, copy the needed files back into the system32 folder. There will be some conflicts, as Windows will report that certain files are in use...so just don't reload those files, but the others will pop in easily, if done in batches.

Then do a complete reg-clean and rebuild. I use Reg First Aid, followed by Norton Windoctor, followed by BugDoctor...every one finds errors in their own area of strength...try some free ones though...at least three in turn...but that is just my bias :help:

Programs go to the system32 folder to see if what they need is there...if there, they motor along as normal. The odd finicky program will need to be reinstalled, but that should not amount to too many. Fresh installs of any and all programs is good for things anyway. Windows gets too complacent at times and needs shaking up and dusting off.

There is no working around it, if a program does not work for any reasonable reason, my opinion would be to get it out of there and start over again.

Re: Windows Firewall...all MS products are designed to work in harmony...but if you have another 3rd party firewall, purposefully, or mistakenly, installed or active, that will surely foul up the works... My PC-cillin firewall, cannot work with Window's Firewall, and I do not think anyone's can...so use one or the other, not both.

Edited by b1caez01, 16 September 2006 - 09:46 PM.

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
okay i still cannot solve my issue. and i do not want to re-install windows either. i have too much stuff on here. i do not want to waste so much time just for streaming audio and video to play on the net. funny thing is that some streaming audio and video does work on the net and some does'nt. but there are pages that i'll tell my neighbour to go to and they work for him and not for me. so i know it has to be an issue.

let me ask you guys a question.

i seen that microsoft is giving out windows media player 11 beta or something like that for free.

now is this almost the same as win media player 10 keeping all the same features and just adding more?

because maybe if i install the new version it will fix everything no?

thing is i cannot just update through my current version. i have to go to their site. so what do you guys think?

think it'll fix my issue? i assume it will install over my current version. i just dunno how stable it will be since its a beta version... my system specs are below in case you are wondering if i meet the requirements for the new version.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Go for it. All versions of WMP are free. Many programs do run this way...load an upgrade, which has as part of its install feature, a complete uninstall of a previous version, then install the upgrade, and that seems to kick start the process of repair. I've had both MMP10 and WMP11.

I only prefer WMP9 because it is the only one that offers a radio feature, which I use all the time. I rarely use any other feature.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
before i do install the wmp11 can i ask you a couple of things?

1. does wmp11 have the same option to rip cds like wmp10?

2. if i install wmp11 would i than have versions 10 and 11 or would it overwrite the version 10?

3. is wmp11 demanding on the cpu, and ram? because i heard it's meant for vista, and i still have a 1.4ghz p3 with 512mb ram and a radeon 9550 128bit 256mb ram video card... i only mention this because i imagine that wmp11 has way more advanced visuals. i do not know. but i am just asking.

thank you for your continuous help

:whistling:

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Your best bet, re: does one do this and the other do that...is to do a google search of just that...

"Options of [then fill in which MMP you want]" MS would be the place to start.

All that being said, I can't say which is best for what you want because I do not us WMP for that reason and have no need to do it in any event. What I do enjoy doing is downloading a good streaming media-on-the-go-audio recorder, which captures all streaming media from any source to your hard drive ...from there you can, with a good audio editor, build your collection, and then burn to a CD... but mp3's usually burn up to 10x the size of an mp3, so that's not an efficient option...UNLESS you have an mp3 player that can read a much smaller "data file" rather than an audio file of mp3s

Edited by b1caez01, 18 September 2006 - 09:14 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts

but mp3's usually burn up to 10x the size of an mp3, so that's not an efficient option...UNLESS you have an mp3 player that can read a much smaller "data file" rather than an audio file of mp3s

Not sure I understand...an MP3 file is an MP3 file, it is not an audio cd file. Could you please clarify what you meant?

Johanna