Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player Will Not Play Internet Videos & Music

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

On the Windows Firewall exceptions tab, click Add port. Add tcp port 1755 and give it a name (tcpmms or something). Then add another, this time UDP port 1755. In media player options, network tab, make sure all protocols are selected, http is configured for browser and others are set to automatically detect. Reboot and see if it will stream properly.

Is it okay if I set a system restore point before I do this just in case if it does'nt work in order to set things back the way they were?

(let me know if setting a restore point will do exactly as I mention just in case it won't)

Edited by superstar, 22 September 2006 - 12:09 AM.

Advertisements

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
It's always ok to set a restore point, but I don't know that the firewall settings would be affected either way. You can always go back and remove the ports from the exceptions.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I'm doing it now. I'll report right away.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Well no dice. It did'nt work! I set everything back the way it was in the media player networks tab and I deleted the port exceptions I made in windows firewall. While I was doing all that I noticed that on my windows media player network tab there is a box under "streaming protocols". This box has no checkmark and says "use ports" (with a box that says 7000-7007... to recieve data). I dunno why I'm mentioning this but you told me to make sure everything was checkmarked. Well I tried check marking it and trying to play something again and it did'nt work. Maybe I have to checkmark it and restart my pc?

Wow and I thought we were just soooooo close to figuring this out!

Edited by superstar, 22 September 2006 - 12:47 AM.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
Had a feeling it wouldn't help. The protocol is supposed to rollover to http if mms isn't supported, but obviously is not doing so. I'll have to look into it more tomorrow evening. Need sleep.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
With MP closed, navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\'yourusername'\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft
If exist, rename both the Media Player and Windows Media folders (I just added old to their names). Try streaming again.

Note: The Local Settings folder is a hidden folder, and you will have to have hidden files and folders set to show.
http://www.xtra.co.n...1916458,00.html

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I am going to try that now. I will report right away.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

With MP closed, navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\'yourusername'\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft
If exist, rename both the Media Player and Windows Media folders (I just added old to their names). Try streaming again.

Sorry I don't understand you. You said to add what to their names? Am I supposed to rename both of them to "old", or rename them as:

1. Media Player Old

2. Windows Media Old

I'm pretty sure I should set a system restore point before I do this no?

And if it doesn't work what should I do to make things back as they were? (system restore rollback, or rename them to what they were)

Edited by superstar, 22 September 2006 - 10:11 PM.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP

rename them as:

1. Media Player Old

2. Windows Media Old

Exactly! New folders will be created when MP is used again. No need for another restore point. :whistling:

Edited by noahdfear, 22 September 2006 - 10:18 PM.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
You dirty rascal. You dirrrrtyy dirrrrtttttyyyyy rascal!

Well now I guess I can say this:

The man is smart. Hands down. Behold noahdfear is king of media! All bow to the great one!~ Does this mean I will have to build a pyramid for you now? lol[size=5]

It works, and not only that but I am intrigued by your intelligence. Takes a man to delve that deep into the unknown.

Tell me how did you know this would work? I know the problem is solved and all. But how did you know it would work? Tell me the legwork you did so I can try to diagnose similar problems the same way next time.

Oh and let me know what I should do with the two folders you told me to rename:

1. Media Player Old

2. Windows Media Old

Oh just to let you know that folder #2 that's called "windows media old" had a sub folder named 9.0, and one named 10. Now that I have two newly created folders that automatically appeared, the "windows media old" folder only has one sub folder named 10.

THANK YOU

Edited by superstar, 22 September 2006 - 10:44 PM.

Advertisements

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP

But how did you know it would work?

I did it myself, and it fixed the same problem for me as well.

Tell me the legwork you did so I can try to diagnose similar problems the same way next time.

Lots and lots of searching/reading. Google is a friend :blink:

Those MP9 and 10 folders contain(ed) a database file (likely corrupted), which was rebuilt in the new folder(s). The 9 was a remnant, leftover from the upgrade to 10. You can delete both 'old' folders.

Happy to hear things are working properly again, and glad I could help............no pyramid necessary. :whistling:

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
No, no, really and truely how can I show my gratitude? Will you accept a donation? Do you have pay pal?

I can now finally listen to music I want to buy, and watch videos I have been meaning to see on such sites as www.cdnow.com, and www.msn.com. I've been waiting weeks for this moment to arrive.

Thank you very much. You are definitely going in my "Hall Of Fame" geeks to go problem solvers. (ie: look at my personal signature below)

Edited by superstar, 22 September 2006 - 11:09 PM.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
Well thanks for the Hall of Fame. :whistling: Keeping in mind that I expected nothing more (your thank you is sufficient), any donation would be appreciated. You can find a paypal link on my homepage, which can be found in my profile.

You're very welcome!!

Caesar Slaad

Caesar Slaad

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey all!

I turned this post up after doing google search after encountering a similar problem. The help file was of no assistance. The renaming the folders did the trick.

What a bizarre bug. I didn't change anything and was browsing and downloading music and working with some lists, it stopped working.

Thanks for the tip noahdfear and thanks for blazing the trail superstar.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
This problem just happened to me again...

I had to redo the procedure you had told me to do...

Just for the record I had my win media player open this time listening to music, I stopped the music but left the player open, and than I went to a site that played streaming win media videos (www.msn.ca), and the video wouldn't play anymore. I ended up having the same problem I had all over again and redid the procedure to fix it. I was going to just rollback my system with system restore. But you know what? I just decided to go ahead and redo the procedure.

I think it happened because I had win media player open and tried to access an online vid that had the win media player already on the site...

Hmmm this thing is funny...