Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Locked out of windows

• Please log in to reply

scotty59

scotty59

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi guys

This is my first post and hope someone can maybe help me, a friend of mine has just got a pc and looking for some advice of a work around.

When the pc boots up it gets to the log in page but they do not know the password, person who previously had pc has forgot what it was, is there a way to by pass this without formatting the hard drive?

cheers

scotty

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Unfortunately not as far as I know. With earlier versions of Windows the password feature could easily be bypassed since it wasn't designed with security in mind. Windows XP however is a different matter. No workaround for forgotten passwords unless the password creator made a password rescue on a floppy disk.

scott452

scott452

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
hi
boot up the comp.
then tap f8, chose safe mode
log into the administrators account (note this isn't an account you have created). the password should be blank unless you have changed
log in, the go to the users area and remove the password for that certain account

this should work, if it doesn't post back

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
There are many ways to crack the password, but I think you would understand that if geektogo started offering hacking advise, the 250 something known exploits of XP, even for ones own computer which then could be used for cracking other people's computer, Geekstogo would soon lose the trust of its own members, for example would you then trust us?

Edited by fleamailman, 09 September 2006 - 05:44 AM.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Totally agree with fleamailman BUT...there is nothing wrong with going to google.com and typing in "lost XP password" and see what pops up...as I just did...

I found a good article to start with at: http://www.petri.co....or_password.htm

The author makes it clear, that if you are hope to find hacking tools there, that you came to the wrong place.

"If you are looking for password cracking tools that can be used for miscellaneous objectives ... this page is NOT for you."

Suggestions:

1. trying hard to remember the forgotten password, or a password of another user which has the same level of administrative rights
2. Another method is by trying to restore a backed up System State (in Windows 2000/XP/2003) or a ERD (in NT 4.0) in which you do remember the password.
3. A third method might be to install a parallel operating system on a different partition on the same computer, then use a simple trick to gain access to the old system.
http://www.petri.co....logon_trick.htm
4. The fourth option is by using 3rd party tools that will enable you to reset the lost password and logon with a blank password.
5. visit petri.com's password forum: http://www.petri.co....isplay.php?f=27

Let us know how it all turned out; what steps you took to solve the problem, if successful :whistling:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Be careful when you do a google for this then, if you land on a hacksite you are open game to have your computer and network compromised, make sure that your router is passworded, oh and don't forget that password either.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Excellent point...maybe I took that action for granted and should not have :whistling:

scotty59

scotty59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for your replies and have to say i thought i will have to format.

keep the good work up nice to come to a site where you get fast replies and help

cheers

scotty

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Any problem that takes me more than an hour to figure out, or repair, is not worth the agony... I spent nearly 48 hours straight in front of my computer once...got quite physically ill over it [yes, computers can make you sick] ...became obsessed about it...until I discovered how docile windows becomes once you reformat it and reinstall only the most essential progs, and then only as I need them...no passwords, lots of back up disks... :whistling: