Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorers shutting down

• Please log in to reply

Toadily

Toadily

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is a very recent development in my computer, showing up I think Saturday or Sunday night.

Whenever any user on Windows XP attempts to open any of the computer folders, whether C:/ or Documents and Settings or Recycle Bin, the windows explorer closes itself and opens again. All programs are still running; no folders. Meanwhile, though the internet works fine through AOL, when it is attempted to run Internet Explorer independently, or follow a link through an independent instant messenger, the internet explorer shuts itself down.

I can't copy exactly the error report and technical aspects of it, as I am posting this from another computer (I will on reaching home?). However, it did mention repeatedly that a text file in a Temp folder (which remained despte disk clean ups and uses of Adaware and scans via Norton) would be included in the report. By going through RUN I deleted the folder and through disk clean up kicked it out of the recycle bin, but the problems stayed.

I'm just hoping that there's a way to solve this OTHER than completely reinstalling the system, as there's a lot of files I've stupidly not backed up, and I can't possibly save them without being able to access the computer's folders.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start with a hijacklog in the malware forum...sounds like you have a trojan that is either altering an association, or running a process to prevent you from removing it.

Toadily

Toadily

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you!

Actually, I feel like quite an idiot. In reading the mandatory file, I thought I'd try out the Adaware SE (having had 6.0 before), and it seems to have gotten rid of the problem. Thank you very much for replying, and pointing me in the right direction.