Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hibernation button

• Please log in to reply

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I've read that it is normal for Windows XP service pack 2 to not show the hibernate button in the shutdown options, and to hold the shift button for it to appear.

My desktop behaves in this way (three shutdown options: Stand by - Turn off - Restart; holding shift changes "Stand by" to "Hibernate").

So why does my laptop have four shutdown options always visible (Hibernate - Stand by - Turn off - Restart)?

Both the laptop (Dell Inspiron 9300) and desktop (Dell Dimension 8400) have Windows XP home edition, service pack 2, enabled hibernation, and (as far as I know) all the same updates/patches/hotfixes.

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
i'm not entirely sure but maybe it's a dell feature?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Because laptops have a far greater need to hibernate than desktops do, plus its the default option when you close the lid. Windows sets itself up automatically to do this when it detects you're installing on laptop hardware, and this extra configuration adds things like docking, hibernation default, battery level support, etc, things that you don't need on a desktop.

Edited by Neil Jones, 10 September 2006 - 02:16 PM.

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Thanks for your replies.

I also found that Dell installs the msgina.dll version 5.1.2600.2603 on laptops (and perhaps newer models of desktops, though I'm not certain about that). It contains a patch that will later appear in SP3 (msgina.dll v.5.1.2600.2833, as can be seen from the hotfix microsoft provides) and which adds the hibernate button to the other three.

I have to nitpick here a little, though: for those of you with the 3 shutdown buttons (msgina.dll v.5.1.2600.2180), does your yellow "stand by" button change when you move your mouse over it? Mine seems to lack a "hover effect" while the others (turn off, restart) get a bit lighter when hovered over.