Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

muppet needs help

• Please log in to reply

Spidee651

Spidee651

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Several days ago i built a new computer from scratch for the first time a friend helped me with the parts i needed and i managed to get it all set up using my hdd from my old computer done the bios setup and think i got everything right then tried to install windows xp all looks fine and at same point every time i get this error code 0X0000007B (0XF78D663C, 0XC0000034, 0X0000000 ,0X0000000) ive taken out most parts and tried it without some in and same result so i cant find what is wrong and im desperate for help so any ideas would be very greatful

Advertisements

Spidee651

Spidee651

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
some stats maybe they help i dunno

XFX Geforce 7900GT 256MB PCI-E 2xDVI HDTV
Pentium 630J 3.0Ghz 800FSB 2MB Socket 775 OEM
Sound Blaster Audigy LS OEM Sound Card
1Gb 533MHz PC4200 DDR2 Memory X 2
ATX Skt775 1066 FSB i945X DDR2 PCIe SA RD 1394 M/B

cant remember model of HDD but is a maxtor 120gb ide HDD

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

My initial thought is to check the bios setup in relation to the SATA & IDE controllers. The board you have given specs for is obviously very new & will almost certainly support sata drives as well as ide ones.
The STOP error you are experiencing is 'inaccessible boot device' i.e pertains to the hard drive or boot media.

Can you check your bios & let me know what all the sata/ide related settings are please. Failing that, just let me know what the motherboard make/model is & I'll look it up myself

Spidee651

Spidee651

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
tyvm for the warm welcome im a complete idiot when it comes to computers and think i took something on im not ready to do so im not even sure if i would find you the right info needed(sorry) the board is a ASUS P5LD2 DELUXE i can give it a go finding what you need witha poke in the right direction :whistling:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
That's fine, it's always easier for me to work from the manual anyway.

Before I talk you through the settings, can you just confirm the following for me please....

1. Do you only have one hard disk?

2. How many optical (CD/DVD) drives do you have in the system?

3. I am assuming you have no SATA drives at all. This is correct?

Spidee651

Spidee651

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Just the one HDD 1dvd burner atm but had second cd drivefitted at first it showed up in the bios but system couldnt find it when tried to boot from it with xp disk and yes no sata drive

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK. You should have 3 IDE ports on your motherboard - one is located along one edge of the board, the other 2 are side by side in the lower right corner of the board, right?

The optical drives (DVD in your case) should be connected to the IDE port that is located on the edge of the board (PRI_IDE)

Connect the hard drive to the IDE port labelled PRI_EIDE which is the bottom port of the pair i.e. :

SEC_EIDE
[:::::::::]
[:::::::::]
PRI_EIDE

Make sure that the hard drive is set as a Master (or single) drive using the jumpers on the rear of the drive.
The drive must be connected to the connector on the end of the ribbon cable, not the middle connector. If you have a standard IDE ribbon cable with 3 different coloured connectors (black, blue, grey), then make sure the blue connector is the one connected to the motherboard.

NB The DVD drive should also be jumpered as Master & connected to the end of the cable.

It is possible to connect optical drives to the 2 raid controllers (PRI_EIDE, SEC_EIDE) but they won't be bootable if you do.

Is this how you have the drives set up? If not, can you configure them like this then check to make sure that both the hard drive & the DVD drive are recognised correctly in the bios please.

Spidee651

Spidee651

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
my PC was configured differently but now is the same as you suggested i tried to then install windows and no crash this time but.... when i hit to install windows xp i got this message Setup did not find any hdd`s installed in your computer so i had a look in bios.... on the main menu it had primary ide as the dvd-rw and nothing else showing but under boot devices it had hdd as second boot device

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Have you installed the ITE 8211 ATA RAID controller driver? Should be on the CD that came with the motherboard. This is the controller that the hard drive is connected to. Even though you are not using it as Raid, it may still need the controllers driver installed.

Also there were some bios settings I wanted you to check - such as Raid being disabled etc. Let me know about the driver first

Spidee651

Spidee651

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
for some reason it would only let me install the drivers from a floppy and i dont have one atm so its something im gonna have to get sorted asap but ive managed to get computer to detect the HDD but having it plugged into the PRI_IDE with the dvd and im now online with my new computer for the very first time i would like to say a big THANK YOU as this might not of been posible without your help

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The drivers on the floppy disk are only needed in order to install the Operating System if you have a Raid configuration - so don't worry about that for now.

The driver is also available from Asus's website if you do need it.

The configuration you have now - both hard drive & DVD on PRI_IDE will work fine as you've discovered. The reason I didn't recommend this configuration initially is because :

1. You have problems if you wish to add the second optical drive back in

2. Having an optical drive on the same channel as the hard drive will often slow the hard drives data transfer speed down. This is why optical drives are kept together on their own controller wherever possible.

If you are happy with the way the system is performing at the moment, then great.

i would like to say a big THANK YOU as this might not of been posible without your help

You are very welcome :whistling:

Spidee651

Spidee651

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
as your advice has been spot on all the time i took your advice and made sure i got the drivers installed and now have it configured how you suggested......thanks again