Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing operating system

• Please log in to reply

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
Hi, I was playing around with my old computer and trying to install another internal harddrive. I guess I screwed up a bit because now the computer cant seem to find the operating system even when i uplug the second harddrive. I get an error message on a black screen saying "missing operating system" after the boot screen.

I have several gigabytes of data that can't lose. Is there anyway to recover this system or at least get the data out so i cant reinstall win98?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hi Numb Remxed,

You should make sure that the harddrive jumpers have been set correctly.
If you have one handy look at the label it should give an illustration of how to set it to Master or Slave.
There sometimes a setting for Cable Select or CS but you should set the harddrive you want to boot to as Master.

- Pseudopath.

Edited by Pseudopath, 10 September 2006 - 11:30 AM.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
thanks for the reply. I kept all the cables as they were before i tried to add a second internal harddrive, which worked before.

I've attached 2 pics just in case i did something wrong. the first one is just the error message and the second one is my harddrive. I've already taken the second harddrive out. Now it's just the original drive and the floppy drive.

asdf_001.jpg

asdf_003.jpg

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

thanks for the reply. I kept all the cables as they were before i tried to add a second internal harddrive, which worked before.

I've attached 2 pics just in case i did something wrong. the first one is just the error message and the second one is my harddrive. I've already taken the second harddrive out. Now it's just the original drive and the floppy drive.

They connections seem okay.

Have you a Floopy Startup Disk?

- Pseudopath.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
yes I do have the windows 98 SE floppy disk and the CD as well. The problem is I'm not really familiar with 98 so I dont really know what to do.

I've loaded it and it has the option to load with or without CD support. And I dont know what to do afterwards.

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

yes I do have the windows 98 SE floppy disk and the CD as well. The problem is I'm not really familiar with 98 so I dont really know what to do.

I've loaded it and it has the option to load with or without CD support. And I dont know what to do afterwards.

Okay, can you access the harddrive using the floppy? (just boot with it and try "dir C:\")

- Pseudopath.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
alright so when i load the boot disk, i got a black screen with

A:\>

and then i type in "dir C:\"

and it gives me an error message "Invalid media type reading C"

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

alright so when i load the boot disk, i got a black screen with

A:\>

and then i type in "dir C:\"

and it gives me an error message "Invalid media type reading C"

Okay that's bad news I'm afraid.
It means at the least you've got a corrupt MasterBootRecord (its a pointer basically) at the worst you might have a trashed harddrive.

You said earlier that you have another computer, is this working and whay windows is it?

- Pseudopath.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
ya, the problem is on my old computer (Windows 98 SE). I'm at my regular home computer at the moment. It's windows XP sp2.

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

ya, the problem is on my old computer (Windows 98 SE). I'm at my regular home computer at the moment. It's windows XP sp2.

There are a couple of things you could do.
You could add the drive that appears broken to your XP machine (you WOULD have to make sure the dodgy harddrive was set as a slave though) and see if you can see it in "My Computer".
Obviously power down your system first and take electrostatic discharge precautions.
If that works you can just copy the files if not we could try recreating the MasterBootRecord.

Let me know how you get on.

- Pseudopath.

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
well there's a slight problem with that. I have an hp pavilion so the case is pretty small. I dont have an extra slot to add another drive on my xp machine.

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

well there's a slight problem with that. I have an hp pavilion so the case is pretty small. I dont have an extra slot to add another drive on my xp machine.

Okay, I know the type but have you the right connectors available?
(you might be able to connect the drive but not close the PCs box - risky but possible)
I leave it up to you!

- Pseudopath.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
i'm not sure. I already have 4 drives in the case right now (cd, dvd, floppy, and harddrive). And last time, i had to open it up to replace the power supply and I was barely able to close it. lol

Edited by Numb Remxed, 10 September 2006 - 01:47 PM.

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

i'm not sure. I already have 4 drives in the case right now (cd, dvd, floppy, and harddrive). And last time, i had to open it up to replace the power supply and I was barely able to close it. lol

Okay, last thing to do is attempt to restore the MBR (MasterBootRecord).
Use the startup disk and when you get to the "A:\" prompt type this "fdisk /mbr" and press enter.
This might not solve the problem if the drive is to use the technical term "knackered"

Hopefully though it will allow you to boot Win98.

See how you get on.

- Pseudopath.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
well i tried it and it didn't do anything. After I entered "fdisk /mbr" the disk made some noise and it just gave me another A:\>

so does this mean that the harddrive is completely trashed, even if i try to do a clean reinstall of windows 98?