Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hey im new. HELP

• Please log in to reply

Danief

Danief

• Pip
  • 4 posts
okay so i get a computer and the only thing missing in it is its hard drive. so i pick up a hard drive, it turns on but nothing comes up on the screen. so i replaced the motherboard, this time it wouldnt even turn on, so i replaced the power supply and it still wont turn on. im thinking i might not be getting power to my mother board, or my computer is propperly connected to the power button. please help. :whistling:

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
Hi Danief, welcome to GeekstoGo

Is the harddrive new? If it is, you need to install an operating system (windows xp, windows 2000, etc.) on it before you can use it. You have to have a windows install cd to install the operating system.

But since you can't turn on your computer now at all, make sure that all the parts are compatible and connected correctly. You should also provide some more details. Is this a retail computer or something you built yourself? Also specs would be nice.

This should be in the Hardware forum: http://www.geekstogo...pherals-f9.html

Just wait or pm a mod to move this thread there.. no need to create a new thread. :whistling:

Danief

Danief

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hmmm... do you think if it put in my old mother board and put an operating system on my hard drive it would work?

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
either way, there should be some response from the computer when you turn it on. Does the computer do anything when you press the power button?

Danief

Danief

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
no nothing. it bugs the crap out of me also. it did with my old motherboard though, it would turn the fans on i think.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
if you changed your power supply and it still doesnt work, they it most likely is an issue with the motherboard.

Danief

Danief

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
well theres a ton of cords that come out from behind the power button and im not sure if i put those in the right spots. do you know what those cords are called? and where a guide for them is?

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
hm.. sorry i'm not sure. I've only changed a power supply once and that was a while ago. What i did was just remember which cords connected to where.