Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Resume from stand by inconsistency

• Please log in to reply

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I've been comparing my desktop and laptop lately, and noticed an inconsistency in behavior when resuming from stand by.

On both systems:
- the option "Promp for password when computer resumes from stand by" was selected by default (I never changed it from how it was set originally).
- both have only one user account (administrator - me)
- on both no password is set for the account

When resuming from stand by:

Desktop: shows the welcome screen (user name and picture)

Laptop: goes directly to desktop without the welcome screen

Any ideas as to why one has the welcome screen and the other does not despite all the same settings?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

mike needs help

mike needs help

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hello, On The Desktop How Many Users Are There Set Up?

And I Ask The Same Question on the laptop ;-)

Good luck plz reply ;-)

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Hi, thanks for your reply.

As I said above, there is only one user on each computer.

both have only one user account (administrator - me)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you right click the desktop, click properties, screensaver, is On resume password protect ticked

If you click power for monitor settings, click advanced, is prompt for password ticked

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Hi Keith,

Thanks for your reply.

On both systems, the screensaver "on resume password protect" is unchecked.
On both systems, the power for monitor settings - advanced - prompt for password is checked.

In the meantime I found the culprit: under control panel -> user accounts -> user accounts -> "change the way users log on or off" -> "use fast user switching" was not selected on the laptop, causing it to bypass the welcome screen.

When I was testing to see where the problem was, I ran into another little curiosity. On both the laptop and desktop, the "Windows logon" and "Windows logoff" sounds are activated, but I only hear the logon sound (when resuming from stand by) on the laptop.

So is the logon sound supposed to be heard after coming out of stand by or not (when the sound is selected in the control panel sound options)? If it is, why do I not hear it on the desktop?

Thanks. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are the speaker type settings correct

I have a PC which will only play the windows scheme sound through the monitor speakers, not the surround, but it will play streamed radio through all speakers??

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
They (speaker type settings) should be correct, I can hear all the other windows scheme sounds (start up, alerts, e-mail notification, etc).