Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer Tracking

• Please log in to reply

dreambreeze

dreambreeze

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,
I was wondering if each internet explorer window has some sort of unique id or tag to it that can be accessed through asp, or java, or vbscript. If anyone knows anything about it, I'd appreciate any help!
Thanks,

[Edit:] err... sorry! i just noticed i posted this in web design/hosting, not internet browsers! can you move it for me please? >.< thx! [/Edit]

Edited by dreambreeze, 11 September 2006 - 12:21 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
An Internet Explorer window is an Internet Explorer window, there's no unique name to it.

The only exception to this is when you open a new window, the new window can be given a "name" as such, but it isn't anything that can be accessed by a webpage as such.

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
each window can be applied a name through javascript. this can also be used when opening an window through javascript. these can reference variabeld directly in the window by window name. also you can reference windows relitivly through javascript. to learn more I would recomend reading about DOM structure on www.w3schools.com

dreambreeze

dreambreeze

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
oh sweet!
thanks a lot! :whistling:

[Edit:]
Is there a way to use the name property to distinguish between a window opened by ctrl-n (or File > New > Window) and the original?
[/Edit]

Edited by dreambreeze, 12 September 2006 - 02:46 PM.