Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply

evelro

evelro

• Pip
  • 4 posts
After about 45 to 60 minutes of internet activity my connection goes down. My cable modem's lights show that I am connected properly, as well as the system try icons. However, I can't do anything on the internet, it shows this page cannot be displayed for any website. It's like I'm not connected. If I disconnect and reconnect the cable modem there is no connection. The only fix that works is a reboot. Also, the cable modem has intermitantly started to reboot by it's self.

My cable company came out and did a complete rewire and a new cable modem but this problem still exist. I hooked up my laptop with a direct connection to the cable modem as a test and it worked fine, no problems. Also, I ran a DOS command (ping -t google.com) to check the connectivaty on my desktop. It did time out and reset three times before it disconnected completely

Please help

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!!

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

evelro

evelro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
To Computerwiz12890,
Attached is the HijackThis log you requested.

Thanks for trying to help

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
As far as I can tell, nothing out of the ordinary in the HJT log. Let's give your computer a good cleaning as see how it performs afterwords.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp DiskCleaner. Delete all junk files. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp RegistryCleaner. Fix all errors. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Optimize & Improve. Run TuneUp RegistryDefrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. Now click on Accelerate downloads and Internet surfing to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. In the menu to the left called "Wizards", choose System Advisor. Note some of the advice it tells you.