Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my user has been lost or something

• Please log in to reply

jackmoran

jackmoran

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
here's my story. i logged into my account last week to find that my settins had been lost and my documents were empty. i went to the documents and folders folder and saw that my folder was still there and cointained my stuff. except all the important stuff is in a protected folder and only when i was in my account i could view the files but i can't as my user has been temporarily lost (i hope its temporary anyway) i also noticed in the documents and folders folder there is a folder named "TEMP"

does anybody have any ideas? thanks

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
That's weird. Who are you logged in as right now?

If you boot into Safe Mode, can you see your user name?

To get into safe mode, restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again, continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode. Make sure it is just Safe Mode, NOT Safe Mode with Networking.

jackmoran

jackmoran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
well i am logged in on another user account on the pc. but at the start up screen my user is there and the password is still the same. its jsut when i log in. it takes me to a temp user

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
First time I've heard of this. Let's see if I can come up with a solution :whistling: .

Log in as the user who is appearing as Temp (the one with the files you want to retrieve). Download the following attachment, unzip it, and double-click on it.

It will create a file called "attach this in your reply to me". Do just as it says :blink:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 12 September 2006 - 11:04 AM.

jackmoran

jackmoran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
here you go... it also opens up a text document called desktop whenever i log in on this account the document has this in it:

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Very weird.

When you are in that temporary user profile, navigate to your files using My Computer:

My Computer --> Documents and Settings --> Your original username --> My Documents

What does it tell you when you access your files? And what is your original user name's folder called? I might be able to create something to unlock it for you, if it is still locked. I've got to experiment with that first though. :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 12 September 2006 - 12:21 PM.

jackmoran

jackmoran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
well it says for the temporary one

My Computer --> Documents and Settings --> TEMP --> My Documents

and my original user is

My Computer --> Documents and Settings --> user --> My Documents

thanks

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
What does it say if you try to access your files in the user folder? Are they even there still?

jackmoran

jackmoran

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
yes i can go into the user folder and view faavouriters etc but the my documents folder i had set to private so i cannit access them

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Looks like you got hacked... try to disconnect your computer from the internet. then see waht happens...

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Seriously doubt that. And I don't see the logic in disconnecting him from the internet and trying again... :whistling:

This issue, from the research I've done, appears to be the result of a corrupt profile. How that happened, could possibly have been from an infection...or simply corruption. I can, and will, check what's running on the computer once I've attempted to help jackmoran gain access to his files.

I'm going to experiment with changing permissions as soon as I get home (I'm at work right now and I can't do that here). Check back for my response, jackmoran, in a few hours. :blink:

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
put up a hijack this file...

could be a virus.

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 12 September 2006 - 04:32 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
can you do a system restore back to a time your computer was working good

when you were able to log in into your own account

after that make a new restoration point to avoid this problem again

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Jackmoran, I have finished experimenting. Here are the results:

I took a user an made his folder private, just like you did. I re-logged on as the administrator, and tried to get access to his folder, which failed. In the process, somehow, a new folder for that user was created, and his old folder was locked. Not even he could access it (which is very similar to your case). So, when I logged back on as him, and tried to unlock it, I was successful.

So...there is a good possibility this will work, but I cannot guarantee it. Here's what you got to do:

Download the fix I made for you:

Note: for other people reading this, this fix was made just for jackmoran. It will not work on other computers, unless the user's name is "user".

Unzip the fix to your c:\ drive. You can unzip it to the desktop if you want, but I figured it would be easier to find it there. Do NOT run the program yet! Just unzip it to a location you can easily find.

Now, reboot into Safe Mode. To get into Safe Mode, restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again, continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode. Make sure it is just Safe Mode, NOT Safe Mode with Networking.

Log in as the user who is suppose to have access to those files. Now, run the fix that you downloaded from me by double-clicking on it.

Let me know how it goes.