Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to customise your desktop

• Please log in to reply

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi forum
I was changing my desktop Icons to things i like and i have animated icons as well. I would like to put on my desktop as well but when i right click on them go to properties and change the icon it gets the folder but it doesn't have anything in it but the folder has pictures and the other one has animated ones in it if i select all files it shows me them in there but it wont apply them. any help would be great as i am trying to personalize my desktop. Thank you

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
someone may correct me if i'm wrong...but i don't think you can have animated icons in windows (i think you might be able to do an animated background...but why?)...for windows icons the file has to be a .ico file (which is why the pictures didn't show up i n the folder till you picked all files)...and to my knowledge y ou can't animate an .ico...i could be horribly wrong but i don't think i am..

also it must be noted that having that animation running on your desktop at all times would probably make y our computer pretty slow...both at startup and during use..

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Dsenette
:help: Thanks for your quick reply I have also tried to use my pictures as icons as well but the folder appears empty. is there anyway to change the icons to tiger pic's say any help would be great.Thanks again for your reply

p.s and after all the computer problems i've had i dont want to slow my computer down

Edited by cheyenne 09, 12 September 2006 - 01:07 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.google.co...;q=icon creator

quick Google search for icon creator (didn't try icon maker but probably would work too) came up with some results...i cannot vouch for any of these packages as I've never used them...but most of them will let you make icon's from jpg's bmp's and gif's...still no animation from what i can see...but you can take your pictures and make icons

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Dsenette
:help: Thanks very much for that I'll just do the pictures and forget the animated icons I'll try what you suggested. Thanks again for all your help.