Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot up problem (BIOS?)

• Please log in to reply

tubui

tubui

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
I did nothing to my computer, all I did was shutdown and then turn it on the next day and when I boot up it gave me this error:

DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

What do I do?

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
first off did you leave a floppy in the drive? second have you tried rebooting? IF it continues to do that and there is no floppy disk in the drive it sounds like your hard drive is either dead or is not getting a good connection. if it is an older computer it could also be that the battery is dead and therefore it lost track of what size drive you have.... What kind of computer is it?

can you get into setup? usually done by hitting either f1 or f2 or del key after first turning it on...

if you can get in check the time and also look for autodetect ide drives....

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
I don't have a floppy drive in here.

Its a custom built computer with AOPEN motherboard AX4SG Max.

Its hard to believe my hard drive is dead because the other day it was working so fine.. And I never refromatted and its not that old.

The computer is about 2-3 years old.. Do I have to replace the BIOS battery?

I can get into the setup.. But I'm clueless in there.

The Cmos settings says its Sep 12 2006.

This is wierd because I have 2 HD, one for system, one for storage.

It says IDE Primary Master: WDC WD1600JB-00GVA0
IDE Primary Slave: none

Edited by tubui, 12 September 2006 - 01:09 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Hard drives can just die. You can check to make sure that the power and data cable are securely attached. Sometimes it the cables can come loose or fail.

Is the drive listed the primary drive (yes, I know it says it is, but is that actually what the primary should be)? You might try disconnecting the second disk and see if it works, sometimes another drive can cause problems.

tubui

tubui

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
Yes 160gb is my primary system
and I have a 250 gb storage.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Try disconnecting the data cable from the second disk. If that does not work, see if you can find a diagnostic program from the maker of your disk and test it.

Another thing that you can try is to boot from a CD and see if you see the disk (either a Linux Live CD or even the Windoze install disk, but don't install anything). It could be that the boot block got messed up.