Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

game Graphics trouble

• Please log in to reply

cepyelland

cepyelland

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi guys, hope you can point me in the right direction, replacement/repair of the problem is not my trouble but figuring out what i need to repair or replace is. i have an AMD 2500+ pressesor on a soltek board (not sure what model), have 2 sticks of samsung 512 RAM, and geforce 5600 video card, am running WinXP, this computer that my old roomate built from new for me has worked seemlessly for about 3 yrs, just recently i have had problems while Playing Call of duty2 (will try another game to be sure). just as the next map is loading, i exsperiance a jerk in the loading menu (the select team screen 1auto assign, 2german etc) even the sound hessitates, then the game when i go to play looks like this screen shot, If i exit the game and come back it remains distorted, when i immedately tried The Godfather Game, it is allso distorted, If i restart my computer things go back to normal for some time, i have had the side off my case and checked cooling fans and various connections,, wiggled video card in slot, removed and reinserted Ram etc,, still no luck,, and recently it did it in the middle of playing rather then at a load screen, jerks like i took a screenshot but sometimes the whole computer locks up and must be rebooted as ctrl atl del, windows key,, etc do not work. any ideas, I intend to try playing just the Godfather game untill it does it,, incase its the game but it shouldnt effect both??? if CoD2 had a corruption? I have changed nothing to cause this that i can think of, was away for a weekend came back to this,,, tried updating video drivers but no change, Posted Image

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Have you made any changes to your system recently?

cepyelland

cepyelland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
None,, oh and i played Godfather tonight,, it went to heck while driving,,, whats strange is why if it is video card does the sound hesitate allso then the graphics go crazy thats what puzzles me, if i had another card to try just to know for sure,,, buying one is trivial if thats the solution

h3lp m3 please

h3lp m3 please

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
ive had my own problems. in some games i get polygons which are stretched into infinity and blocks up my view. sometimes it is really bad. i turned off the combine write and it still happens sometimes. im using a geforce 6800gt.
it might be driver issues in your case try updating them.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I would suggest downloading speedfan and checking your temps while gaming. Even though you have the side of your case off, your processor could be overheating. You can download speedfan from here:

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Also, if you have Norton or any other antivirus program running, you should turn it off when playing games. Antivirus programs tend to be resource hogs and can have a negative effect on games.

cepyelland

cepyelland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I've ran this computer this way for 3 yrs, and NEVER had a problem, I have changed nothing. My processor has a large aftermarket fan and heat sink, i cant see it being the problem unless it stops or falls off :S

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please do what kidnova suggested, because he is on the right track...

Download Speedfan, using the link in my signature (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the temperatures it shows. The information you need to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture attached.

Fenor

Attached Thumbnails

• SpeedFanExample.JPG

cepyelland

cepyelland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
this is after having the computer on for 30min and gaming Cod2 for about 15,, im shocked , but nothing distorted (yet) gtg to work back tonight Posted Image

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
When you get back from work, I would take the side panel off of your computer and see how much dust has accumulated inside. If you see alot, then you will need to get a can or two or compressed air and blow the dust out.

Fenor

cepyelland

cepyelland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
i have had dust cause vibration in the video card fan b4 but checked,,, does not seem to be the cause,,, is Remote the video card i assume?? my old roomate suggested removing cleaning and reapplying the heat sink with new thermo grease,,,, does common dielectric grease work , such as we use at the automotive electrical shop i work in,,?? back at 5pm

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You need to use good thermal paste/compund like THIS ONE.

Fenor

cepyelland

cepyelland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok, im at work, removed case side, blew out dust,, what bit there was,, checked all fans etc,, removed card
and it has an iceberg fan and heatsink, removed this to find that the thermal paste doesnt really cover the whole surface, kinda looked like 75% :whistling: buddy has some artic silver at home, were going to clean it and reinstall,,,, see when i get home if any change. whats strange is why after like 2 yrs i have trouble?? maybe handling and temperature changes,,, been to a few lans,,, and i live in canada home of extreme weather changes lol

cepyelland

cepyelland

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok home,, still have the flame icon,,, :whistling: played for about 5min and it locked up on a grenade death,,,, now what,, Is Remote temp my video card?