Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AntiViruses, Suites, and Optimizer help

• Please log in to reply

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
ok I'm wipeing my sytem again like i doe very 3-6 months after i back up my docs and such.

but here is my ? i'm running BitDefender AntiVirus Plus v10, I heard it lags your system liie mad and it does, so i'm running a trial of Norton Internet Sercuity 2007, seems to work good but from reviews i hear it bites,

so here is my ?

#1 what anti virus or Suite should i run.
#2 what is the best spyware software
#3 what is a good program to use for system Optimization

here is what i found out, not sure how accurate it is

#1 BitDefender AntiVirus Plus v10
#1 Norton Internet Security
#2 Spy Sweeper
#3 Advanced System Optimizer

Advertisements

Saracen

Saracen

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Not a Norton fan here...

Just My Opinion.

Nod32 - it rocks! (or Avast for a freebie on my other PC's)
Zonealarm
Spyware Blaster
Ewido 4
Opera Browser
MVSP & Custom Host file managed by Hoster
System Optimiser - I dont ! Apart from running ccleaner I keep my own eye on things

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
aight thank you, i was more or less lokking for top rated products money isn't a problem fro me right now cause wel i'm almost 18 and i've been A+ certified for almost 7 months so

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I would suggest Nod32, SpySweeper, and Zone Alarm Pro. The free version of Zone Alarm is fine, but if you want to pay, then sure :whistling:

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
ok quick ? why is nod32 so popular et i have never heard a review, or anything about it and isn't there one that starts with an S? i don't know i keep update with hardware microsoft software lol i guess i need to also stay update with software 2 thanks for all the feedback guys i can use all input you guys have. also sorry for my grammer and puncuation i'm typing in long hand

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Don't worry about it :whistling: The best answer I can give you is that Nod32 is for the more advanced users. I hear it has some complicated settings, which the average home user would probably not know about. Nod32 seems to be more popular among organizations and businesses.

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
ever hear of mksvir2006 its a polish antivirus heard it is better then NOD but i think i'll stick wioth nod just one ? how much is it it subscrib to the admin version? orhow do i dl a tiral of the admin version?

Thanks again Storm

Edited by Mr.Logic, 13 September 2006 - 06:30 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Assuming this is for home use (they make different versions) then this is the trial link for you: http://www.nod32.com...load/trial.html ... For subscription information on this product, please see this link: http://www.nod32.com...e/purchase.html ... It's a bit pricy, but I hear it really works!

Note: Take note that this is in Australian Dollars, so you will need to compare its currency/exchange to that of your home.

EDIT: Ok, I did some research for you, and seeing as how you live in the US, I used this nifty little currency exchange converter, and so your new price that you must pay for one year of service is: $48.68 ... Enjoy!

(Edited in order to insert note and add currency update)

Edited by Stormknight6, 14 September 2006 - 03:33 PM.

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
aight, thanks again

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Sure. Let us know how you like it as well :whistling:

Advertisements

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I love it i thought bit defender 10 was good even though it lagged but NOD32 surpasses in performance and well memory usage thanks again

Saracen

Saracen

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Dont forget to update your firewall too :whistling: - As mentioned earlier up in the post by Stormknight6 Zonealarm pro is a good paid option, but if you do decide to go for this vers instead of the free vers then dont forget to disable the Anti Virus Monitoring part of it, otherwise running two resident virus checkers at the same time can cause conflicts within the system.

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
ya i got zone alarm pro now the monitor isn't pickigng up NOD32 though

but i did waht what ya said and disabled the montioring. ty Saracen for the info and tip

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I am not too much of a protection fan because whatever one has is a gamble as no one except the malware makers themselves know what is coming out next, I mean you only have to look at the malware forum here to see what I mean.

AVG & ewido are enough for me as I don't want to be slowed down by some heavy protection like Norton; however, far more important is ghosting the system and backups, remember if your harddrive dies, and they don't need malware to die on you, everything is lost so 'think recovery more than protection' is my advice.

Edited by fleamailman, 15 September 2006 - 06:16 PM.

Mr.Logic

Mr.Logic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
:whistling: Ya i'm set for back ups every week I back up my drive on a external so i'm safe for back ups :blink: