Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updating files on startup - screen frozen

• Please log in to reply

billywhizz

billywhizz

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi,

I am trying to start my WIN ME pc after updating the Mcafee viruscan files. I get a black text screen "windows could not upgrade one or more system files - press any key to continue". Ive had this before, but this time the keyboard hasn't been loaded so I'm stuck. Any ideas? I've tried a boot disc with no success.

Thanks,

BW

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Can you try hitting the F8 key while the computer is starting up and getting into safe mode? Once there you can do a restore back to a previous date before the update.

SRX660

billywhizz

billywhizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi SRX660 and thanks,

The keyboard doesn't even get to 1st boot so won't respond to anything. I've mailed MaCafee but all they say is it's a hardware / driver issue.....

I finally got a response from the keyboard by unplugging all the other usb devices, this may have been a coincidence but could it be a power issue? I'm reluctant about updating the virus files again as I don't want this happening again.

billywhizz

billywhizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I'm thinking of getting rid of MaCafee and using Zone Alarm and AVG (the freeware versions). Any thoughts on how good these are?

Thanks.

BW

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I really can't say about too many USB devices. Each USB port should be able to handle 2.5 amps @5 volts. Each usb port usually has it own wiring connections and the 5 volt rails on even a lowly 200 watt power supply usually has 16 amps. Larger PS's have more amps available.

I have tried running most of the firewalls and AV software. I keep going back to Zone Alarm for the firewall. Tiny, EZ Trust, nortons and all the others i have tried have worked Ok and some have had issues. Never had any problems with ZA so i just run it. I ran AVG for year but now have switched to Avast. I have had some problems getting updates with AVG. We will see how it goes with Avast but i hear good things about it. Avast does seem to use a bit less resources than AVG. AVG did catch some viruses that even norton did not catch on another computer. I really think its personal choice between AVG and Avast. They both are good.

SRX660

billywhizz

billywhizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Thanks for your views. I think I'll give it a try as I'm sure Macafee is causing the problems.
BW

billywhizz

billywhizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi SRX660,

Just to wrap this one up, I found this which seems to have worked http://support.micro...kb/283069/en-us.

Thanks for your help.

BW