Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

svchost.exe

• Please log in to reply

mysapark

mysapark

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all. My computer keeps running this application in background while I am trying to use it. It takes up 99% of my CPU causing everything to run really really slow. I do not have tons of RAM. Today it ran for an hour! I cannot end the task as it will not let me. It drives me nuts as I do not want to wait 30 seconds everytime I click something for a response. What is this svchost.exe???

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services part of the registry to construct a list of services that it must load. Multiple instances of Svchost.exe can run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services. Therefore, separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started.

however, it is possible that a virus or trojan could have the same name as a genuine Windows file, in which case it will be located in a different folder to the genuine version. The official (Microsoft) version should be here:
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe
That should be the only one on your system.