Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Web Page Display

• Please log in to reply

n4syth

n4syth

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Seems like a display setting or something has changed on this computer (WinXP Pro)....

Now some websites are displayed in very large font/configuration... Many of the words overlap and everything doesn't fit on the screen.... Only happens with some site... MSN, bank, personal webpage for example...

Any ideas???
:whistling:

Edited by n4syth, 13 September 2006 - 10:05 AM.

Advertisements

Confussed

Confussed

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My topic I have just posted is the opposite or yours --- my text too small HELP!! If you find out let me know :whistling:

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
go to view and select text size its at top of your page medium

Edited by rushin1nd, 13 September 2006 - 10:17 AM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!

What you probably did was scroll the mouse wheel while holding the CTRL key on the keyboard. That is a shortcut to changing the size of the text on websites.

Or, in the menu at the top, you can go to View --> Text Size and select the size you want. :whistling:

n4syth

n4syth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ironically, text size is set to SMALLEST....
Have tried changing it to other settings and it makes no difference.

Also, some pages display OK.....

Edited by n4syth, 13 September 2006 - 10:28 AM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
That's interesting. What is your resolution set to?

To find out: Right-click anywhere in empty space on your desktop. Select Properties. Click on the Settings tab.

What is the Screen Resolution set to?

n4syth

n4syth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Have tried a variety of Resolutions... Right now it's 1024x768.

I have also just noticed that the Addresses for the affected sites have VERY long strings of letters and numbers (even at front of address)whereas the ones that are Ok have more normal looking addresses.... Think this may be virus or spyware???

Then again......
Just found a site that's affected and the address looks normal.....

Edited by n4syth, 13 September 2006 - 12:02 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Can you post an address from one of the "problematic" sites. I will check them with my computer.

The computer I'm on is "frozen" so I don't have to worry about infections. :whistling: ALL changes to this computer at undone after rebooting.

n4syth

n4syth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Here's what it is on the problem computer:
http://by104fd.bay10...1224cb406ed49f6

When I try to open it on another computer, it opens with this address:
http://login.live.co...s...33&_lang=EN

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

the Addresses for the affected sites have VERY long strings of letters and numbers

This is not unusual for certain sites, such as when checking mail in Yahoo, or doing searches at Best Buy. But the link you gave me, the first one, is suspicious, though it looks identical to the Hotmail site.

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

n4syth

n4syth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, here it is...

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I don't see anything unusual from the log, other than your Windows is very out-of-date. That could be contributing to your issue.

Open Internet Explorer. In the menu at the top, click on Tools --> Windows Update

Follow the onscreen prompts to update your windows. When asked if you want to do an Express update or a Custom update, choose Express

Install all updates available. You may have to run Windows update several times, since some updates require reboots. You will know when you are done updating whenever you go to do an update, and it says that there are none available.

Let me know if this improves your webpage viewing.