Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What good virus scanner/firewall would you recommend?

• Please log in to reply

Cerberus_e

Cerberus_e

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Like I said in another thread, I purchased a laptop for school.
I want to protect it of course, so what virusscanner with firewall would you recommend?

On my normal PC I have Norton antivirus, which includes a firewall, and does the job, even though it may not be the best choice aroudn there. I can't use it on my laptop as the license is only for one computer.

On my laptop (it includes Norton but it's only for 90 days) I'd prefer a free virus scanner that includes a firewall( I know they exist, and I could download a few but I don't have time to get experienced with all of them since I have to go to school already Sunday so then I need to be protected, I thought it would be better to get advice from real technici here :whistling: You really don't need to give links unless you enjoy that, I know how to use Google). For virusscanner I don't really have much requirements, other than that I'm a casual gamer so I wouldn't want the virusscanner to conflict with them (Some people say Norton causes long loading times and occasional stuttering in games, I don't know if it's true or just an urban legend), and the firewall shouldn't conflict with the networking (like Windows Firewall does, needless to say I turned it off, I heard from many people that firewall is useless anyway) and it should always ask me when a program wants to connect with the internet, for my permission. Norton Firewall asks me each time a new program wants to connect with the internet if I want to allow it: "yes always", "yes", "no", or "no never". That's how I'd like it.

Any recommendations?

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Ah, another security advice thread. :help:

For a free program, I highly recommend Avast. It is soooooooo much better than Norton. Don't believe Norton is junk? Check this article out. Oh, and don't forget to register Avast, or you won't get your free key to unlock it for 1 year! :whistling:

Avast has 7 shields, which is kinda like a smart firewall, but not a true one. Personally, I use Cyberhawk which is not a true firewall, but more like a "behavioral analysis program". At first glance, you'd think it was a firewall, and it does have features very similar to one. But it looks more at behavior, than just blocking everything and asking what you think about it. Still asks you if you want to block or not, but not for everything

If you want a true firewall, Zone Alarm should be perfect for ya.

In addition, I highly recommend McAfee's Site Advisor, which is also free, and warns you about all kinds of bad sites. Try Google after you install it. :blink:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 13 September 2006 - 10:59 AM.

Cerberus_e

Cerberus_e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Ah, another security advice thread. :help:

You mean from me? Or in general? If you mean from me, yesterday I made a thread to protect personal files, and I'll make another thread tomorrow in the networking forum for even more security advice :woot: Then it'll be for securing my PC when it's connected to the LAN at school (so they can only access the folders I want :) I don't know if using the standard "share" option is safe enough). But that's for tomorrow when I'm done with antivirus and firewall.

For a free program, I highly recommend Avast. It is soooooooo much better than Norton. Don't believe Norton is junk? Check this article out. Oh, and don't forget to register Avast, or you won't get your free key to unlock it for 1 year! :whistling:

So it's free for 1 year and then pay? :) I need at least 3 years :woot: Or is it a license for one year, but after a year you can just ask a new one? :woot:

Avast has 7 shields, which is kinda like a smart firewall, but not a true one. Personally, I use Cyberhawk which is not a true firewall, but more like a "behavioral analysis program". At first glance, you'd think it was a firewall, and it does have features very similar to one. But it looks more at behavior, than just blocking everything and asking what you think about it. Still asks you if you want to block or not, but not for everything

Then it's not what I seek, I want to regulate internet access for all programs (hopefully also an option to block internet access. I'll try what's below then:

If you want a true firewall, Zone Alarm should be perfect for ya.

I've heard a lot of bad comments on this program, but hey they might be false :) Won't it conflict with my antivirus?

In addition, I highly recommend McAfee's Site Advisor, which is also free, and warns you about all kinds of bad sites. Try Google after you install it. :blink:

I use Firefox so no problems here :yes: I never have spyware

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
First, I suggest AVG, if you are looking for a good, free security program. You can download AVG here: http://free.grisoft....tpl/v5#avg-free ... Also, there is nothing I find wrong with Zone Alarm. I use it now and it's fine. Also, when it was said that this is another secuirty post, that's just in general :whistling: If you want to better control which programs access the net, Zone Alarm will do that for you, not so much AVG.

Cerberus_e

Cerberus_e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
The recommendations are 50/50 so far: AVG and Avast... now I can't decide :whistling:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

I use Firefox so no problems here I never have spyware

Firefox does not guarantee that you will be free of spyware. Firefox has less security holes than IE, but it is NOT invulnerable. Besides, one way you can get spyware is through bundled software. That means you can download an ordinary program, and as you are installing it, spyware is installed too. This happens quite often. :blink:

And McAfee's site advisor does more than just warn you about malicious sites, it also warns you about ones that are scams, such as ones that sell a product that is normally free. So it is a very good program to have. :whistling:

Personally, I hate AVG. It can catch infections, just like any good Anti-virus program, but it seems to have trouble removing them. Not saying it doesn't remove any infection, but there are quite a few that it can't remove. More than ordinary.

Avast at Snapfiles.com

See snapfiles rating, as well as other people's opinion. Snapfiles has AVG too, but they don't have a rating for it. Wonder why... :help:

Another good firewall (or so I hear) is Keiro. And Snapfiles also has one with a high rating called Comodo (or something like that). The reason I did not suggest either of these is because I have not tested them. I do not like to suggest programs that I have not tested.

I've heard a lot of bad comments on this program, but hey they might be false Won't it conflict with my antivirus?

Zone Alarm is good for some people, for other people it gives trouble. Those comments are no doubt true, for the people who said it. I know people who have it and it works fine. So it depends on your computer. You can try it out, and if it gives you trouble, try one of those others.

And as for conflicting, no. Firewalls won't conflict with an Anti-virus. Another anti-virus will conflict with your current anti-virus. So only install 1 AV.

Cerberus_e

Cerberus_e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
:whistling: ZoneAlarm doesn't let me configre my network. I can't see the other computers in the network, and neither can they access me. Any solutions?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Wish I could help, but I don't use Zone Alarm. I'm satisfied with Cyberhawk.

You might try posting that problem in the Applications forum, or the networking forum (but not both at the same time). :whistling:

Cerberus_e

Cerberus_e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

You might try posting that problem in the Applications forum, or the networking forum (but not both at the same time). :whistling:

I planned on making a thread in the networking forum already, to help securing my PC, but I figured I'd wait with that thread until ZoneAlarm is correctly configured. But oh well, I might as well start now :help:

EDIT: Great, now ZoneAlarm randomly shuts down internet access :mad:
If I can't resolve these issues quickly I'm going to another firewall, and if that fails, use my laptop without firewall :blink: Better unsafe internet access than no internet access.

Edited by Cerberus_e, 14 September 2006 - 10:14 AM.

Cerberus_e

Cerberus_e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Currently, I'm having 4 issues with ZoneAlarm. Feel free to comment or them, or do suggestions :whistling:

- When I start my firewall internet connection gets shutoff for a while, even for programs in my "allow" list. This is inconvenient when another user logs on on my laptop, so all programs including ZoneAlarm get started... that sucks when Messenger is running or when I'm downloading something.

- Programs always ask twice if the can connect in a popup. First for outgoing then for incoming. I'd rather have it that I select it for both at the same time, like Norton Firewall does. It's very inconvenient now.

- It disallows random programs even when they are on the "allow" list at times... like rght now I wanted to browse the internet but it didn't allow Mozilla to connect to the internet. I could post this reply as soon as I turned off the firewall.

By the way, my other issue with ZoneAlarm is in my "Zone alarm blocking filesharing on a network" thread over at the Networking forum.

Cerberus_e

Cerberus_e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Also, when a program wants to access the internet, there is no option to give the full filepath... lots of advanced info like hashes... but no filepath :whistling:

Edited by Cerberus_e, 15 September 2006 - 01:24 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Guess it's time for me to test out Keiro (another great firewall). I'll get back with you on what I find, and whether I like it or not.

Cerberus_e

Cerberus_e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I actually learned to live together with ZoneAlarm now... the first three issues I mentioned aren't that big of an issue anymore... it doesn't randomly disconnect anymore, so I guess it fixed itself. As for the first two issues, I guess I'll be able to live with them. However, I REALLY want to fix this one:

Also, when a program wants to access the internet, there is no option to show the full filepath... lots of advanced info like hashes... but no filepath

Can't I make a plugin? :whistling:

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Thanks for being patient with me. I'm sorry it took me so long to respond, but I've been very busy lately. :whistling:

I don't think you can make a plugin to do that, however I'm not that familiar with ZoneAlarm. I just know it's good and it works. You might want to take that problem to the applications forum.

Or, you can wait till I finish testing Comodo Firewall. I have finished testing Kerio, and I don't like it. It seems like a good firewall, but overprotective. It blocks way too much while surfing, and is very technical. I won't be recommending it to less-technical people, and I myself will not use it because it is too much trouble.

I will get back with you on what Comodo is like.

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Here's what I use and I never get viruses, spyware, malware, etc.

Updated Firefox
Windows XP Pro w/SP2
Startup Inspector
Avast!
Adaware SE Professional w/adwatch -- prolly the best virus protection program ever, protects the registry

:whistling: :blink: :help: :) :lol: