Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GoToMyPC

• Please log in to reply

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Has any netowrk or system administrators out there had any issues with this service and allowing users on their network to install it and access their systems remotely?

I'm a little concerned that it's easily broken into and you could potentially have a baddie log into someones system and be able to access network resources and potentially wreak havoc.

I'm just a wee bit paranoid about allowing this... The bad thing is that during a meeting (before I took over the network) the managers touted using this as a means for the users to access their email from home... GAH!!! :whistling: :blink:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if there's any important data on the network....ANY access from outside is a bad idea...in fact...a completely ridiculous idea...

is the only reason they want it for email? if so..look into OWA with exchange...you can set up your mail server to allow users to check their mail from any web browser...

in general VERY few people should have access into the network from outside...and that access should be limited and highly scrutinized..

i use a cisco VPN client through my PIX firewall here at work to allow for VPN access...but i know exactly WHO has VPN access...and if i can see them...then i turn that access off untill they ask for it again..

if they insist on using gotomypc...it is at least a reputable software (i don't use it but i do know people who do)...

thenotch

thenotch

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
It scares the willies out of me knowing they were "told" to use it by staff....

I'm going to be addressing that at our next staff meeting.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
find out what the true reason for it is...if it's just for email...you can do other things than use gotomypc....if it's for file access....see if they've ever heard of a thing called USB drives