Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Virus Protection

• Please log in to reply

theoneandonly1

theoneandonly1

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
My Norton Security is about to expire and I need a good virus protection program that is easy to use and has the best quality. I am a student so I dont have any money... at all. And if/when you do give me a link to free software should I uninstall Norton before? or after i install the new software? I also have mcafee but it is not registered and has never been used. Should I uninstall that also? Thank you very much for your time!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have had no problems with Avast free AV. It doesn't seem to use as much resources as AVG AV which i was using for a year. Before that i was using the E-Trust which was OK but caused problems with some software i was running. Both AVG and E-trust used enough resources that i could see the slowdown in the computer, especially when on the net. Yes, remove Nortons completely off the computer before using another AV. Also, if you are not using McAfee, remove it also. Why have programs on the computer taking up space when your not using them.

SRX660

kws_divine

kws_divine

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
hey.
well, i know there are some good programs on here, not sure of any fire wall things here or anything.
but i know there are good scanners and such.

ah, i found something here.

**NOTE**
i recommend you do uninstall norton and mcafee first just incase things get unhandled between all theese firewalls/avs you have,

SyGate PFW (freeware)
Symantec's freeware firewall. Support from Symantec ended in 12-05 but it is still considered a good firewall program.

Spybot S&D
Spybot - Search & Destroy can detect and remove spyware of different kinds from your computer. Spyware is a relatively new kind of threat that common anti-virus applications do not yet cover. If you see new toolbars in your Internet Explorer that you didn't intentionally install, if your browser crashes, or if you browser start page has changed without your knowing, you most probably have spyware. But even if you don't see anything, you may be infected, because more and more spyware is emerging that is silently tracking your surfing behaviour to create a marketing profile of you that will be sold to advertisement companies. Spybot-S&D is free, so there's no harm in trying to see if something snooped into your computer, too smile.gif

AVG Anti-virus
AVG Free for Windows is a free anti-virus protection tool developed by Grisoft for home use. We invite you to join the millions of satisfied customers worldwide who have downloaded the software and now enjoy the benefits of AVG Free for Windows.

Ad-Aware SE Personal
Ad-Aware Personal provides advanced protection from known data-mining, aggressive advertising, Trojans, dialers, malware, browser hijackers, and tracking components. This software is downloadable free of charge.

Pocket KillBox
KillBox is updated and is now Pocket KillBox. New features and easier to use. Powerful tool, so use only when being told and required.

Hijack This
A general homepage hijackers detector and remover. Initially based on the article Hijacked!, but expanded with almost a dozen other checks against hijacker tricks. It is continually updated to detect and remove new hijacks. It does not target specific programs/URLs, just the methods used by hijackers to force you onto their sites. As a result, false positives are imminent and unless you are sure what you're doing, you should always consult with knowledgable folks (e.g. the forums) before deleting anything.

SmitFraudfix
SmitFraudFix removes Desktop Hijack malware: Smitfraud, Win32.puper, AVGold, Security iGuard, Spyware Vanisher, quicknavigate.com, updateSearches.com, startsearches.net, Virtual Maid, SpySheriff, PSGuard, SpyAxe, WinHound, AlphaCleaner, AdwarePunisher, SpywareQuake...

Alcan Shorty
A utility by Beamerke utility to ease the use of alcanshorty.bfu. What it does: Downloads and extracts BFU.zip, downloads the bfu and executes it.

Thanks to Noël Danjou for permission to use download.exe. http://noeld.com/

Findlop
This is the latest batch put together by Metallica to find the full names of the folders used by LOP.

All Taken From
Geeks to Go Public Download Page

I hope that helped..
~ divine

Edited by kws_divine, 13 September 2006 - 02:16 PM.

theoneandonly1

theoneandonly1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
should i turn windows firewall off... i now have AVG and i uninstalled norton and mcafee.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I have ewido/avg combination recommended here on this site(free)
running at all times
I also have SAS(instaled but not running)
once a week I turn off the combination, switch between them and run a scan.

the above I believe to be the simplest, cheapest way.

links:
ewido
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/
avg
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php
sas
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Edited by fleamailman, 11 October 2006 - 10:47 AM.