Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

uninst~1.dll file missing

• Please log in to reply

dragonsbane76

dragonsbane76

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I had updated my Spysweeper to the new version for Windows XP users. It began to slow my system up, so I did some system restores to find the problem, at the time I didn't know it was Spysweeper causing the problem. During the last system restore a small window came up saying I was missing a file called C:\Progra~1\uninst~1.dll Since then when I shut down then start up the laptop a window appears saying I'm missing this file I have to click ok then it finishes loading in Windows. Also when Spysweeper came out with a rebuild to correct the problem, I tried to install it but it stops before it even has a chance to begin installing because it says a unistall program is missing or something to this effect. I'm not sure if this is because of a virus or if I really am missing a file that I should have on my system. If anyone can help me with this I would be most greatful. :whistling:

P.S. I'm not sure if I have this in the right section. If it's in the wrong section please let me know and I will get it moved.

Thanks for the help :blink:
dragonsbane76

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

dragonsbane76

dragonsbane76

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I tried all that was listed, it made my laptop much faster, got rid of a lot of junk, files, etc..... Thank you very much for the help!!! But it didn't fix the missing file problem, during the first reboot I realized that little window that shows up saying RUNDLL - error loading - C:\PROGRA~1\UNINST~1.DLL - The specified module could not be found. Shows up just after the Welcome screen when starting up the computer, stays like that until you click the ok button. I had asked a friend if she could check her computer as it had Windows XP if she had the file so I could try coping it, but when she searched for it she didn't even have it on her computer. so I don't know if I should even have this file in the first place or not. It wouldn't be from a virus would it? My web browser also keeps refreshing itself every few minutes ever since I got the new version of Spysweeper, the rebuild of Spysweeper is suppose to fix the slowing up of the computer, but the problem with the web browser wasn't part of that I don't think but I'm not entirely to sure in regards to Spysweeper being the full cause of these problems. :whistling: If you know of anything else that I could try I would be most greatful. Thanks again for your help!! :blink:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you look in add remove for any programmes you have uninstalled but the entry is there

dragonsbane76

dragonsbane76

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
There is nothing that I can find that has been uninstalled, leaving only the entry. There is one thing even though the small window still shows up after the welcome screen, when I just installed the new build for Spysweeper it fully installed this time because before it would stop when it started to install a uninstall file right at the beginning of the installation. I will need to restart computer to see if the rebuild has fixed the refresh problem in regards to the web browser. Hopefully it has fixed it but I can't be sure just yet. :whistling:

dragonsbane76

dragonsbane76

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
My web browser is still refreshing itself every few minutes and the file is still missing. Samething keeps happening when I start the computer up I have to click ok before preceding on to my main page. I'm not sure if this is a virus or not? If anyone can figure out what is wrong with this computer, I would be most greatful. Thank you for the help so far, it has cleared up some of my problems. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you know which video card you have

Can you check Microsoft Update for .net framework updates

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

dragonsbane76

dragonsbane76

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I used Microsoft Updateand downloaded two critical files:security file for Excel 2003 and Windows Genuine Advantage file. These were the only two updates available.

I think I got the right info for the video card, if not please let me know.

Intel® 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphic Controller

On the side of the box that the laptop came in had this info on it.

Intel Extreme 2 Graphics
32MB Shared Video Memory

I hope this is the info you needed, if not please again let me know.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Choose Home Edition

http://downloadfinde...x?ProductID=922

Click download above the orange disc

dragonsbane76

dragonsbane76

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've downloaded the program, during install the RUNDLL error window showed up when I clicked ok it continued installing the driver. I'm not sure yet if it will show up again as I have not done a shut down. I did restart the computer however for the driver program and it didn't show up then. My web browser is still refreshing itself every so often. I was also having some problems with changing my home page but it seems to be working ok right now, if I have any further problems I will let you know.

Thank you again for all your help so far, it has been a big help!! :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well

dragonsbane76

dragonsbane76

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi......well the RUNDLL is still showing up when I start the computer. Shows up right after the Welcome screen. The web browser is still refreshing every few minutes, also when the page is loading a syntec(sp?) error on the bar at the bottom of page shows up for a few seconds

dragonsbane76

dragonsbane76

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
please disregard the yellow face. I didn't realize it got clicked. I must have been really tired not to have noticed. Again please disregard funny yellow face.

dragonsbane76

dragonsbane76

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
RUNDLL is still showing up when I start the computer. Shows up right after the Welcome screen. The web browser is still refreshing constantly. Also when the page is loading a syntax(sp?) error on the bar at the bottom of page shows up for a few seconds sometimes, but not all the time. The newest thing is I had a error window pop up just after getting to the main page with all the icon links after turning on the computer.

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Run time error
Program:C:\ProgramFiles\Symatec\LiveUpdate\LuCallbackProxy.exe
R6025
-pure virtual function Call

If someone can help with these problems, please let me know. :whistling:

Edited by dragonsbane76, 02 October 2006 - 02:27 PM.