Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound when playing any file

• Please log in to reply

DWatson1225

DWatson1225

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have a Dell desktop that I have lost sound on. It has been working. I can't hear songs, audio thru a DVD, or any Windows sounds.

I have checked the following:

-volume control and none of the mutes are select
-volume on speakers is on and turned up
-power is on to the speakers (power light on speaker is on)
-checked properties in Device Manager on SoundMax integrated Digital Audio and it shows 'use this device (enabled)'
-checked sound and audio device properties on the audio tab and verified that SoundMax is selected for playback
-verified in Device Manager that SoundMax properties showed 'use audio features for this device'

What's next?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. When did this start? Have you made any changes to your system recently? Have you tried going to your sound card manufacturer's website and downloading/installing updated drivers for your card model?

DWatson1225

DWatson1225

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
This just started 2 days ago. Everything was working fine then they just stopped working.

I haven't checked drivers. I'm pretty much ignorant on this so if there are some basic instructions on how to update drivers I'd appreciate it.

Thanks