Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer Mystery

• Please log in to reply

wacko jacko

wacko jacko

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My son's laptop hard drive feiled and weas replaced, XP was re-installed and all updates downloaded via ethernet cable. The computer logs on and recognizes the wireless home network, and shows excellent signal strength, but Internet Explorer will not find the internet. It always displays the :this page cannot be found" page, as if the computer was not logged on to the network. Anybody have any ideas? I think it may be my router.

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Verify that you have an IP address either by DHCP from the router or that you set statically.

If you have a 169.x.x.x IP then you are not reaching the router.

Check to make sure the cable is plugged in all the way, verify that you have a connection to the router (a light on the NIC and/or the router).

If all is good see if you can ping the routers IP. If you cannot then again, you didn't pull an IP or the hardware connecting you to the router is not functioning properly.