Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DDR 400 Ram stick problem

• Please log in to reply

PeterAlevizos

PeterAlevizos

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
i have a geil ddr400 1 gig stick of ram now ive recently purchased 2 512 sticks and for some reason there is instability and my pc crashes

any help for me please?
thanks guys

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This is usually caused by the Memory having different timing between the sticks.

http://www.amd.com/u...5E13335,00.html

I had a old AMD 933 gateway computer that when i added a 256 stick in with the 512 stick the computer started crashing at least once every day. the 512 stick was centon, and the 256 stick was a unknown brand but had infineon chips on it. Pulled the 256 out and the computer quit crashing.

SRX660

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Depending of what brand you are using.

If the computer was crashing for having two different brand of RAM, then how come my old Presario 5333CL never crashes after upgraded my ram and there's two brand on there now.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
HPDV, i don't know the answer to that. I have a H-P vectra that i can throw almost any brand of PC133 or PC100 memory in and it works. It doesn't matter what combinations i use it just always works. The only thing i don't like about that computer is the message at boot up that the memory has been changes and i have to hit the enter key for the computer to accept it. Then the computer will boot up. Other computer i have owned have been very picky about the memory. ASUS Mb's seem to be very picky. I have noticed that some MB makers specify what memory will work on their MB's at their website. I have seen some MB's not boot up at all with the correct type of memory installed but will boot up with a different brand of memory. All i can do is find what works and use it.

SRX660