Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice on registry repair, and looking for program too

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, life is easy when we can tell people to repair the XP system with an XPcd, but I believe one cannot repair registry corruption this way and rather than telling people to use regedit in this or that way, is there some appication or commands to solve this kind of question thread then because one wants to helps but also understands that the poster might be a novice so the simplier solution the better, thanks.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but CCleaner does a good job with repairing the registry. YOu can download it at http://www.ccleaner.com ...

Saracen

Saracen

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Another Free registry cleaner you may like to try is Eusing Free Registry Cleaner or you could install the 30 day trial version of TuneUp Utilities 2006 which includes a registry cleaner and does a great job

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Thanks, last question: is a registry cleaner, the same thing as a registry repair tool. There are quite a few posters with corrupted registries due to their own tweaking through 'regedit', (I don't think that repair with XPcd would work here though I might have been told wrongly) any yet I would like some tool that could solve this problem without their having to tweak more. For example, would system restore do the trick? What are that poster's options then.

Edited by fleamailman, 15 September 2006 - 05:55 PM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Before you EVER tweak the registry, you should ALWAYS save a backup. This way, if you mess up, or something goes wrong, you can just reverse it all later. CCleaner has never caused my system harm. Also, just for security, it prompts you to save a registry backup before it makes any changes.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I only use Tuneups registry maintenance suite i just dont trust others and not all of them do decent repairs, i as a rule never touch the registry manually unless in dire straits and there is certain evidence against registry cleaners as well so i dont use them if they arent needed and agiain only tuneup.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
XP is best repaired with the cd, either using the SFC (System File Check) or a real repair. XP will ignore useless registry clutter, so a reg cleaner is not likely to improve performance. In the old days of Win9X a reg cleaner might reclaim precious space, and hard drives were much smaller than today's average size drive. Lots of software leaves messy leftovers, but WinNT systems aren't affected until they get INfected. The only reason to run a reg cleaner is because a malware expert has instructed you to as part of a clean up. The average user will find a reg cleaner to be superfluous.
Johanna

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Thanks, let me repeat that there are posters who have already messed up their registry, my goal is to set their registry right by offering them a tool that is not manual.

Questions:
Will 'repair with XPcd' restore the registry to normal(am I right or wrong in thinking that the repair does not touch the registry)?
Will the tools that have been mentioned above repair to registry(as opposed to just removing unwanted stuff?
What should we be suggesting the poster to do here?

btw, I sound narked but in fact as always I am grateful for everyones input here. My machine is fine and I haven't touched my regedit, just I want to clear this up to be able to reply next time.