Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where should a PC stand right now?

• Please log in to reply

nikorasu

nikorasu

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hey, I really need some help. I guess it's a matter of opinion, but my sister is buying a computer (for gaming) and I want her to get something that will last. Below is the computer that she was going to buy(some of the basic info)

# Intel® Pentium® D processor 915 with 2 processing cores, 800MHz frontside bus, 2 x 2MB L2 cache and 2.8GHz processor speed
# 2GB PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM for multitasking power, expandable to 4GB
(sorry.. very little info was offered, but that's the basic system info)

A sales guy steered my sister towards a clearance sale computer, saying something like "You'll only be using 10% of that computers power, but with this one, you'll be using 90%". I wasn't there, but I wish I was.. she doesn't know much at all about computers.

Now, that MAY be true if she was playing Starcraft, but she wants games on like Prey or Half-Life 2 par... And I don't want her to have a PC that's maxed out right now...

This is the computer she got:

#AMD Athlon 64 3200 2.2 Ghz cpu
#1GB DDR SDRAM

I can't find the pc by googling, but that's some of the specs. I don't know how upgradeable it is. Is a 2.2GHz processor good to buy if you have gaming in mind?

I appreciate all the advice anyone has to offer.

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
It depends on how much they are asking for that system. The processor and RAM are plenty strong to play games and should be fine for a while. Most games are video card limited anyways, so she needs to look into a nice card. The bad thing is that the entire Pentium D lineup became pretty much obsolete with the release of Core 2 processors. If you can get some more info regarding the system specs and the price, we can give you better advice.

Also, if she doesn't have a lot of money to spend right now, she could easily upgrade here current system. I assume it's socket 939 and the price of AMD chips has dropped drastically recently. You can get a 3800+ for just a little over $100 US and then spend another $150 or so on a graphics card and it should perform well for another couple of years.

Edited by kidnova, 15 September 2006 - 10:06 AM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
When it comes to gaming, you want AMD processors. Not Pentium. There's nothing wrong with Pentium processors and gaming, it's just AMD is better for games.

I've got an AMD 1.6 GigaHertz and I can play Halo, StarWars BF 2, and StarWars Republic Commando absolutely smooth

And I also have 384 MB of RAM, though I highly recommend you get more than that. At least 512, preferably 1 GB.

And with processor, get at least 2 GHz, preferably 2.5

Although my setup works perfect with today's games, it would be better to get more than that, since my setup could easily go out-of-date with the next gen. of games that are coming out. But like kidnova said, the main thing you want to worry about is a Video Card

The ideal video card would have 128 MB of dedicated RAM. And I'd choose NVida (sp?), but ATI is good too. 64 MB of video card RAM is plenty for today, but like I said, you want to be prepared for the next gen. of games coming out. So I'd shoot for 128 or more.

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
2.2 Ghz processor is good for video gaming. Im running my laptop with AMD Turion 64 Mobile Processor 1.8GHz and I have no problem running Halo, Neverwinter Nights, NFS: Most Wanted, and Warrock.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
The speed of the processor does not necessarily mean a processor is more powerful or faster. For example a e6300 core 2 duo processor at 1.86 Ghz is better and more powerful than a Pentium 4 at 3.0 Ghz. The best thing to do when searching for a processor is do a google search for benchmark reviews and gaming reviews to see how different processors compare.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

When it comes to gaming, you want AMD processors. Not Pentium. There's nothing wrong with Pentium processors and gaming, it's just AMD is better for games.

I was going to say what Kidnova said but he has been reading over my posts and doing his homework.

In the PENTIUM 4 Era, AMD WAS faster but not now, amd isnt faster than INTEL is right now because of the new Intel Conroe processors... The Intel conroe e6600 with 2.4ghz will easily beat amd's top dog which is the amd fx-62... If the E6600 can beat the amd fx-62 at pretty much every benchmark Including "GAMING" so just making a point and stating the facts. The e6600 isnt even the top end processor and it costs less than half of what the amd Fx-62 goes for. The conroe isnt on the PENTIUM CORE/CHIP anymore it is completely redesigned.

So as of right now amd is not better for games than "INTEL" in general, but amd is better than the older PENTIUM 4 series.

Right now if you want to go for a good high end gaming machine look into the intel conroe e6600, or e6700.. The x6800 conroe is too pricey.

nikorasu

nikorasu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for all the info everyone. Very much appreciated.

So, comparing the 2 processors, would you say the dual core would be a better choice? I've heard that dual core only helps speed up app's and such if they're 'double threaded' or something to that effect. I'm assuming they provide overall better performance, but I was just curious about whether or not dual core is better overall that single (of course, taking speeds of processors into consideration)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Does she allready have the AMD or is this what she was thinking of buying, the AMD is fine same spec as what i have now but its getting on its over a year old now runs most anything fine prey and HL2 are easy but they are more reliant on vid card than CPU.

Intel is faster but AMD is cheaper so it balances out the AMD AM2 X2s up to a 4600+ are good value for money the faster ones though you are better with intel but to be honest the CPU makes a difference but its not a massive one unless you have a really good video card which is more important to a gaming system.