Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Data transfer from any disc painfully slow ...

• Please log in to reply

stucuk

stucuk

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi,

I have a Medion PC MT6 which has a Ultima DH1-G40 DVD drive, a Sony CRX210E1 CD-RW and a Seagate 120Gb internal hard disc. When I first looked at it the DVD drive would not read any type of disc although Windows XP quite happily recognised the drive. As I attempted to resolve this issue I then lost the CD-RW drive with exactly the same. Then as I attempted to resolve that I lost the hard disc drive!

Now saying lost is not quite true. They will all read in DOS or whatever but unbelievably slowly. It is so slow I have yet to get it to load Windows again but it is trying to. Also sometimes it will not recognise a bootable CD, but other times it will with nothing changed. Tried a few diagnostics tools (when they eventually loaded) and found no fault with the hard disc or anything else.

Have tried different cables, resetting the BIOS to defaults, optimised and failsafe settings but makes no difference. It's driving me mad!

Thanks for any help in advance.

Regards, stucuk ...

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I would read this article and see if it applys to your problem.

http://winhlp.com/WxDMA.htm

SRX660

stucuk

stucuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the reply but I can't even get into Windows. Could this be an issue if I don't even load Windows, i.e. I go into DOS or ERD Commander or similar? The data transfer rate is deadly slow from the moment the PC is turned on. Thanks.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, i can't seem to find any information on Medion except a german website, which is not good. Can you get into the bios and see what you have there. It could be a problem if the computer doesn't recoginize the hardware correctly. Usually hitting the delete key while the computer is starting up will get you into the bios. Use the arrow keys and the enter key to navigate thru the bios. I would look for anything there that is not normal, like no identification of the hardware, the settings on everything, maybe wrong memory size, etc.

If your memory is bad it may be there is just enough working memory to startup the computer. Heres a website that can take you thru a list to figure out your problem.

http://www.daileyint...mdpc/manual.htm

I take it you cannot use a restore CD or anything like that. A windows XP oem cd will cost you around $90. You may have to look for drivers for your motherboard if you take that route.

SRX660

stucuk

stucuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I actually removed the CMOS battery and reset it and that appears to have solved the problem. Obviously the failsafe settings are not fail safe for this breed of PC! I then found that the first CD that wasn't working was actually duff. The DVD drive does work but it is still very slow, put in any CD and it can take three minutes before it will display the contents in Explorer. I have tried it as master, slave or cable select on either channel on its own or with the others and it makes no difference. Any ideas?

Many thanks.