Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP PRO will only boot up in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

zuzuspetals

zuzuspetals

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi. I switched my PC off as normal a few days ago, but now each time I switch it on it gets as far as the Windows XP "loading" screen (logo plus loading bar) then reboots and takes me to the "Sorry, there was a problem" boot page. If I select "Start windows normally" or "Last known good configuration" I get the same problem as when I switch on. I can select Safe Mode and that boots normally. In Safe Mode I've checked everything I can think of: all the drives are there and the right size, don't seem to be any hardware conflicts (although Ethernet wasn't working - but I don't use this anyway I don't think). I disconnected all serial port and USB devices and tried booting multiple times as well but to no avail. I've also unchecked all the startup programs and rebooted but that didn't work either.

The only recent change I can think of is that there was a Microsoft auto-update installed a few days ago. I'm not sure whether it's since then that I'm unable to boot in normal mode.

I ran AVG anti-virus in Safe Mode and it came up with some errors saying "Partition table (MBR) reading error" and "Boot sector of disk reading error" but am suspicious of their truth as surely you're past the MBR and boot when it's reached the Windows XP load screen?

Anyway, any help and advice appreciated.
Thanks.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Have you tried running System Restore from Safe Mode? Do you have a full install disk? You could boot it and and use recovery console to run FIXMBR and see if that helps. Or from console try this from Fred Langa.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!

use recovery console to run FIXMBR

Don't do that one just yet. I doubt that it is a master boot record problem, so we'll save that for last.

In addition to silverbeard's suggestions, if they don't work, try this:

Start the Recovery Console.

When you get to the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". This is a long check...be patient.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 15 September 2006 - 10:33 AM.

zuzuspetals

zuzuspetals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks Silverbeard. I'll read the Frank Langa piece and see what I can get from it.

I tried switching on System Restore from Safe Mode but it tells me System Restore can't be switched on from safe mode. I do have a recovery CD which came with my PC, but this gets so far then prompts me for a Windows Automated System Recovery Disk (3.5") which I don't appear to have.

I'll try a few things over the weekend and let you know if they work.
Thanks for your help.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Since you only have a recovery CD you might want to download the XP Setup disks if you have a floppy drive. these will allow you to use Recovery Console.

zuzuspetals

zuzuspetals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks both. I'll download the file from Microsoft and put it on a floppy disk. I'll try that out tonight.

I tried disabling the auto-reboot on fail and got the following error message:

STOP 0x0000007E (0xx0000005, 0xB627059C, 0x799B47C, 0xF799B178)

Anyone know what this means?

I also ran chkdsk but this didn't seem to find any problems.

Thanks

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
See if this article helps you.

I know it is entitled ""STOP 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to Windows XP", but it still has suggestions for that error that might be it.

zuzuspetals

zuzuspetals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well, I've discovered what was causing the crash. I tried disabling Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS in Device Manager/Sound, video and game controllers and could then boot in normal mode. However, none of my sound devices now work. Each time I try and enable this again I get an instant crash. Not sure whether to use the Creative option to return to defaults or to download and install a new driver. Any recommendations?

Thanks again for all your help.

zuzuspetals

zuzuspetals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi

I think I'm now in the wrong forum for this question, so have moved my query to
http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=131048

Thanks for your help so far.